Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Poast vs Vantage? Which is better?

Old 03-20-2004, 06:37 AM

Default Poast vs Vantage? Which is better?

I need to purchase a grass selective herbicide for an Alfarack food plot. I know that Vantage is sold by the Whitetail Institute at probably a higher price rate. I have checked at an agronomy place in regard to Poast and know that an oil must be applied with the Poast to insure it sticks to the grasses.

Is there any distinct advantage to either of the products? I just want results, price isn't the option. But if they are comparable, then I would opt for the lesser priced brand.

As always, thanks for your help......
Old 03-22-2004, 10:10 AM

Default RE: Poast vs Vantage? Which is better?

they are the same. vantage is poast with the crop oil already in it made for the WI. poast will need the oil and poast plus allready has it.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

First of all I am an agronomist and there is not much difference between the two chemicals. One has a surfactant and the other doesnt. The best and cheapest surfactant to use is dish soap. A surfactant for lack of better terms makes water wetter. It creates more surface area per water droplet creating a larger area on the leaf for chemical to absorb. Just as commercials say that the soap takes grease out of your way it does the same on plants. Leaf surfaces have a waxy greasy layer that covers leaf surface, using a dish soap will cut the surface tension of the leaf resulting in greater leaf cover. If you have any other herbicide questions go to www.greenbook.com they list all herbicide labels by trade name there. I hope I helped you out a little
Old 03-23-2004, 01:26 PM

Thanks for the help guys!!!!!
Old 03-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: texasaggiebowhunter

go to www.greenbook.com they list all herbicide labels by trade name there

That link doesn't work Tex. Can you corect it. I would like to view that site.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2004, 06:24 AM

The correct address is www.greenbook.net
Old 03-24-2004, 06:34 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:39 AM

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God guys...lets be more careful....if you dont know an answer dont give one...Vantage is generic roundup...not close to Poast!! http://www.dowagro.com/ca/prod/vantage.htm
Old 03-25-2004, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

ditto on the dish soap. i have some generic sethoxydim, and the directions said to use 1 oz of the product and 1 oz of crop oil per gallon. i asked the farm supply place what crop oil was. the guy said to use some dish soap.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:28 AM

wooddust, the vantage name that the whitetail institute sells is a grass specific herb not a generic form of roundup. it is the same as poast.

Quick Reply: Poast vs Vantage? Which is better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.