Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

wild bird seed

Old 03-15-2004, 05:52 PM
car
Typical Buck

Default wild bird seed

I want to plant a cover and food plot for pheasants and quail. Also use the cover for deer my question is has anyone ever planted wild bird seed that you buy to feed to the birds. car
Old 03-15-2004, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: wild bird seed

I would pick out a mixture of certified seed with a low percentage of weed and unknown seeds. The bird seed mixture may give you a bunch of stuff that you don't want in your plot.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: wild bird seed

i tried the bird seed mixture from walmart 3 years ago. it grew very well.

the next 2 years i tried sunflowers. the pigweed was terribly thick. i mean it was so thick that it would bog down a 35hp tractor with a bush hog.

i don't know where the pigweed seeds came from, but it might have been from the bird seed from walmart, just a speculation.

don't let the weeds become a small problem, because they'll turn into a bigger problem. if i had to do it all over again, i would NOT have bought the $8 for a 25 lb bag of bird seed. i would buy real seed meant for planting.