Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 If you had one choice of seed to plant >

If you had one choice of seed to plant

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

If you had one choice of seed to plant

Old 03-09-2004, 09:09 PM

Default RE: If you had one choice of seed to plant

Look Guys,

I spent a bunch of money last year on your so called local seed...clover rape etc. to no avail. It fell WAY short. I have planted a bunch of food plots and most of them, I didn't work the soil as well as I did to these. They produced well, the ones I planted last year was very sparse.

Where do they sell the Lab Lab as a local seed? I already checked.

I chose the plantings I did due to the way they grow and the conditions. If you would like to come grow some very nice clover plots for me...since I am inadequate....please come do so. I would be very glad to have someone else come do it.

Everything that you guys have suggested was done by several hunters on our lease last year and no one was happy.

So if you don't mind...it is my money...and I chose how much to spend and where to buy.

All I asked was to look at my choice of seeds and tell me what your opinion about the SEEDS....not where I am getting them.

I heard someone mention that the buckwheat was a very good grain to plant......Do you have a better idea? I have asked how many times for your ideas? All I get is bashing about where I am getting my seed.

Thanks for your help, NOT
Old 03-09-2004, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its not where you buy it's what you are buying (are you reading correctly??).
Seems like you had your mind made up before you started asking, so why bother.
Do what you want, and good luck.

As long as you have lots of money, why don't you buy some of those mixes for me and I will try them out. Maybe I will get a better opinion of them (brand mixes in general). NOT.

Maybe instead of looking for new stuff, why don't you try and figure out what went worng will the other seedings - from previous posts, it seems that there may have been some faults in the planting and preparation(??)

As much as you may think, I (we) are not know it alls, just trying to help and our giving our best guesses, opions, etc. with a little (or maybe even a lot of) real world knowledge thrown in. Again, happy planting.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:34 AM

I am sorry, was this your reply earlier? "I can here the registers ringing - cha-ching, cha-ching "
Sure sounds like you are worried about how much I am spending and what I am buying. All I wanted to know is what type of seeds. Unfortunatly I don't have the option of going to big Coops and have feed and seed mills in my area. I don't live in areas where they farm the grains and seeds that most of you guys are privey to. I live in Sugar Cane country.....

I was fortunate to find most of what I was told to buy last year...but now...I am going a different route. If it works....great....if it doesn't ......it was my mistake.

I can here the registers ringing - cha-ching, cha-ching
Old 03-10-2004, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

Jeff has some great points. However we live in the clod weather states and some difference in planting is in effect for the deep south. If the soil is in shape and a decent depth of top soil we would suggest one of the targeted clover blends. If the top soil is not sufficient then we would suggest the Birdsfoot Trefoil blend. The other 1.5 acre should be in a annual. A spring/summer/fall then replanted in the proper dates with a fall/winter/early spring blend. The rotation should give some devirsity and the Trefoil will give stability.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sure sounds like you are worried about how much I am spending and what I am buying
Ummm, yeah, thats's been my whole g-d point - YOU MAY BE ABLE TO SAVE SOME MONEY (and get good results) BY BUYING GENERIC BRANDS.

again, good luck
Old 03-10-2004, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

Woops! I didn't notice the Louisiana location. The same advice applies though, but you'll definatly need to taylor the plantings to your location. At the same time, I don't work for any seed company, nor am sponsored by any, but the amount of research that goes into all of the big companies seed blends I feel is worth the extra money. And for an acre....what, a few extra dollars for the planting?
Old 03-10-2004, 12:38 PM

doughboy,

Let me ask you one more question. Do you feel that overlooking one small minor issue in the way that I planted last year would cause for $500 worth of seed in five different locations not to come up. Some how I seriously doubt it. Why would I go back with the same exact seed....spend the same exact money for it to fail again? Would you want to take that chance? Knowing that you did this the year before? If you would have seen the results and would have been there to see exactly how it was planted....you would have seen that even though we may have skimped on one planting mistake, more of the seeds should have come up that we ended up with.

Sorry, I am not going to waste the time or the money going the same route but changing one small thing. I would rather get seeds that are designed for my situation.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2004, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd plant oaks or apples.

Dan O.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rye - Even a fool could plant it right - its very cheap - and the deer like it especially in hunting season.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:16 PM

Well,

I guess this fool will try some different things this year.

Quick Reply: If you had one choice of seed to plant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.