HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   ProGraze? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/548-prograze.html)

kreg 01-05-2002 09:44 AM

ProGraze?

Anyone use ProGraze? Is it hard or easy to plant, and how long does it take to come up enough for deer to start eating it? Do the deer like it?
Do you have a pic of your ProGraze plot?
Sorry if this is a lot to ask.

TxCowboy 01-06-2002 08:57 PM

RE: ProGraze?

Kreg, you are in luck. I have planted ProGraze for the last 2yrs and have had <u>great</u> success with it. This yr I took pictures of most of my food plots week by week. Unfortunatly I slacked off and quit after 6 wks. We decided to do it right this year and get soil tests and really lime and fertilize the plots. Last yr we didn't fertilize the right amount or lime at all any the plots grew but not very well. However the deer ate the plants to the ground.

This yr we put the seed in the ground in the end of Sept. we got a rain the very next day, which was a blessing. We had a wet fall which really helped the plants grow. The only problem was due to the warmth and large amount of rain, there was an abundant amount of natural browse so the deer didn't even start eating the plants till late in November after a couple hard freezes. What I like about ProGraze is when one plant cycles and dies out, another plant grows up in its place, so you have plants there yr round. You are supposed to just over seed the plots again the next yr without having to re-disc the soil. However, due to our <u>very</u> dry summers, our plots died last yr in August. The deer really hit our plots hard last yr between about Feb.-July. They grazed them like cows.

Anyway, here are some pics of one of my plots from this yr. The first pic is from week 4 and the next from week 5 1/2. The plants ended up growing to 3ft tall. The deer have grazed them down and the aphids (small bug) have done a number on them now, but there should be some other plants coming on up soon. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

same plot but I moved the feeder, in these pics the plants are about 20 inches tall.

--------------------------------------------
Hunting the Piney Woods of Deep East Texas.

bow27 01-10-2002 03:54 PM

Who makes or sells prograze. Those plots look great

zzvedder 01-10-2002 04:14 PM

If memory serves me, all this stuff is is rape, some type of white clover, and chicory. I'm sure you could get it cheaper at your local ag store. Now the only difference will be that it won't come in a pretty bag with a picture of a big buck on the front.

jhuckeby18 01-12-2002 08:47 PM

i havent ever heard of a mixture called prograze is it ne good?!