Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

coyotes

Old 02-24-2004, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: coyotes

Farm Hunter,

I like what you alluded to about coyotes..."So we feed them, by improving small game habitat and feeding areas". I've personally found that all my deer management efforts have greatly benifited the small game populations, especially snowshoe rabbits and grouse. I may not have as much of a problem with the predators due to the fact that there is simply so much else out there to eat for them. One of my game pics last year was of a bobcat walking by with a red-squirrel in it's mouth...lots better than walking by with a fawn in it's mouth
Old 02-26-2004, 07:10 AM

ORIGINAL: farm hunter
Like you - we have Many Large coyotes - I've found that we could probably never get rid of them. So we feed them, by improving small game habitat and feeding areas. A coyote content to feed on rabbits or voles, is less likey to prey on our deer population. In fact- in the fall months - its not uncommon to see coyotes "mousing" in the same field, at the same time as deer feeding there.

Good reply farm hunter - this is called "optiaml foraging theory"
An animal will not expend more energy then necessary to obtain food.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:29 PM

I read a biologist report from state (not PA for those cynics out there) that you need to kill a whole lot of a local coyote population before making a dent in that population of coyotes. The number that sticks in my mind is 75% before numbers start to drop off. Litters enlarge, other coyotes move in etc so it's a really tough battle. We run them with dogs, which is great fun and a heck of a lot of time, committment and work, but again if your a hound fellow it's terrific. The most effective means of killing thme to me seems to be trapping. We've noticed an increase in coyote numbers in the places we hunt them with dogs in.
We've followed a bunch of yote tracks over the years and find them eating roadkilled deer, carcassess dumped after butchering, deer shot or otherwise have died in the woods, but very very few running down and actively hunting them. We've found tracks of five together once, Four together several times, three a bit more, two frequently, but not as frequently as a lone track. Find they do a number on rabbits and pheasants and other small game. PA game commission study found coyotes and bears taking fawns in about equal numbers in the spring.
Enjoy, Juniorpc
Old 02-26-2004, 07:28 PM

A friend of mine - G kraatz - works for the state. They just finished up dropping rabies vaccination baits, and today should have finished up their helicopter war games.

They fly around in samll copters used for cattle herding and shoot coyotes and pigs. It is a state sponsord project that takes place on some of the biggest ranches in S. Texa. It is also done regulary when cows start dropping their calves. The yotes actually go in for the afterbirth. Last year he shot over 500 yotes and pigs in 10 working day. Thats no joke. He also uses cyinide bait , fence snares, and good ol 22.250.