Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Time To order trees

Old 02-10-2004, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Time To order trees

If you own a bit of land, this is the time of year to consider habitat improvement in the long run, and plant some trees/shrubs.

I order through the NY state nursery in Saratoga, [link]http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dlf/privland/nursery/species.html[/link]

Its cheap, and simple to plant.

This will be the 3rd year of tree plantings for me, and Totals of a couple 1000 trees planted in blocks and windbreak/field dividers. Some day, I hope that my legacy will be the plantings I did at the turn of the century.

One other tip, if you have friends/family with overgrown fields, they might be open to the suggestion that you transplant some specific seedlings from the property - to yours. Where I work, the company owns 10 acres, of old gravelbed - that has been abandoned for 20 years. I obtained permission to transplant 100's of trees from seedlings - to shoulder height onto specific parts of my property. I concentrated on Spruce, red pine, and cedar - but hope to get some hardwoods this year (oak hopefully) Sure its some work, but it only costs your time.

Here is me planting in March of 2001 - These are "wild" norway spruce, I obtained from the field at work - I wish there was more!

Old 02-11-2004, 10:49 AM

Default RE: Time To order trees

farmhunter - thanks for the info. You mention that you have planted/transplanted ceder. Any special preperation? What about protection from deer? I am in Delaware County and expect that what would work for you would work for me. Any and all advice is appreciated.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget about your local National Wild Turkey Federation chapters for habitat items.

I am the Habitat Chairman for our Central Vermont chapter. Each spring we offer a variety of habitat items which the chapter supplements a large portion of the cost. This year we are offering 8 crabapple trees (5' to 6' in height) AND 8 highbush cranberry bushes (2' to 3' in height) for $40 . We are also offering 3' white oaks and Whitetail Institute's Imperial Clover. The money raised at the annual Super Fund banquets is usually used for the purpose of habitat improvement.

. . . Rob
Old 02-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Charlie,

One good thing about cedar is its hard to kill if the roots are kept wet. When transplanting I like to get a bunch of roots, but don't worry about cutting/breaking some roots.

The bad thing about cedar is that deer love to eat it - especially if you get snow, and its a "new addition" to your habitat. It almost has to be fenced off until its head high. You can plant it in some pretty swampy areas though, and in-between blowdowns to "hide them" from the deer.

Rob - Can you post a link to the NWTF tree/shrub sales? - I couldn't find it on line and I'd like to see it.

Thanks
Sean
Old 02-11-2004, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sean,

These are usually put on by your local NWTF chapter. What I do is put together an order for 700 - 900 trees/shrubs in November to our local conservation office. I then send a flyer to our members telling them what is available and what the cost is. They then send in their orders with a check. The end of April is when I distribute the packages. The crabapples I get are one which the fruit doesn't drop in the fall, it persist all winter.

Here is the link for the NY State Chapers: http://www.turkey-talk.com/nys-nwtf/

Email your local chapter to see if they are doing anything. Hopefully they are.

I have also dug up trees and transplanted them. I cheat a little as I have a Kubota with a backhoe. The hoe works nice getting the rootball out intact.

. . . Rob
Old 02-11-2004, 07:55 PM

This will be my 14th year in planting trees on my hunting land. 1600 Red, White, and Jack Pines this spring. We make it a Family weekend!
Old 02-11-2004, 08:29 PM

Farmhunter - thanks for the response. About the offerings of the NY Chapter of NWTF, they are offering Special Purpose Strut & Rut seed. They will pay half the cost of up to 3 bags ($21 each, includes shipping). additional bags are available at $42 each, I don't know if that includes shipping.

This is a mix of pre-inoculated, warm and cool season grasses & clovers. Each 20 pound bag covers approximately one acre. Additional questions can be addressed to Mike Joyner, President of the NYS Chapter of NWTF. Mike can be reached at [email protected].
Old 02-11-2004, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Charlie -

I will give Mike a shout - Heck maybe I'll join too - We have a good turkey population, and I'd like to help make sure it stays that way.

Sean
Old 02-12-2004, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also don't forget to contact your local Soil & Water Conservation District (shameless plug). Orders are being taken now. Almost every District in the state(s) has a tree program with a very good selection of tress (& generally better quality than the State nursery). We have over 50 species of trees & shrubs. Most transplants (3-5 yr. old trees go for $1 - 1.40/tree. Bulk seedlings are much less.

Happy planting.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

farm hunter; those "seedlings" that you're planting are absolutely amazing. The ones that I've been putting in are about as big as the top growth shoot on your trees. They only cost $.35 but I'll have to wait a few more years than you before the plantings close in. This is going to be an off year for my planting (only 500 trees). Although I am planning on growing about 2,000 seedlings (oak, hickory and chestnut) for transplanting this fall.

Dan O.

Quick Reply: Time To order trees

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.