Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Grow 'Em Right {the book}

Old 02-10-2004, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default Grow 'Em Right {the book}

Grow 'Em Right
A guide to Creating Habitat and Food Plots
by Neil and Craig Dougherty

I just got the book in the mail today and read it from cover to cover. I couldn’t put the thing down! I thought it was well put together and full of great information. There were a few times I wished they would’ve elaborated on material but for the most part I came away with a wealth of knowledge. I also was skeptical on the topic of Biologic seed and how many times they insisted it was the only way to go. Not coming right out and saying it but hinting nonetheless. You can’t go anywhere in the hunting world without a commercial popping up it seems. I looked at it like this; It pays the bills yes but it’s also what they know and they write what they know works for them. All in all it was money well spent IMO and I would recommend this book to anyone wishing to improve their property for deer and deer hunting. I know I'm exited to get started.

Being that I’m as green as the fields they’re talking about, a review on such a book doesn’t hold much weight. What I mean is, I thought it was great and I learned a lot but am not able to point out things that might be opinionated or material that should’ve been more in-depth and so on.

How many here have read the book and what did you think of it?
Can you recommend other reading material?
How’s your property doing?

By the way I don’t know any of these characters and am not reaping benefits from the sale of this book or products mentioned inside. Unfortunetly! [&:]
Old 02-11-2004, 07:51 AM

Default RE: Grow 'Em Right {the book}

Mantis live right by the research facility. North Country is right around the corner from you. If you liked the book you should come to the facility and take a tour, then you can see everyting you read about in a real world setting. TGK
Old 02-11-2004, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

Yes I plan to gather a group and check it all out this spring.. Probably not much going on right now.[&:]
Old 02-11-2004, 11:27 AM

Mantis Mayer - other books that you might enjoy reading are: "Planting Foodplots For Deer & Other Wildlife" by John Weiss, "Quality Deer Management" by Charles Alseimer and "Wildlife Foodplots 1-2-3" by Ed Spinazzola. I have found them to be very helpful as well as a pleasant read.
You mentioned that you were interested in visiting North Country Whitetails, maybe we can see if there is interest on this forum and organize a group outing. I am in Delaware County, NY and would be willing to car pool. Any interest out there?
Old 02-11-2004, 12:20 PM

Mantis, LOL! Nah, not too much happening right now! Too much snow!! Tours start in June and go every weekend through Sept. (I believe they start the 5th this year) Cost is $50 for a half day. It's a great time and a great way to get ideas to change your property.

Charlie B, I woud definatly be interested in meeting up with anyone who wanted to meet there.

Hope to see you guys there sometime. TGK
Old 02-11-2004, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

Charlie, that sounds like a great idea! Why don't one of us get the ball rolling on it in a few months!

Osiris, do you work there or something?
Old 02-12-2004, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Interesting, on the Biologic seed promotion. How many years have they been in business and how many record book bucks have they produced? Of the many shows I have done, I have not met on person in the northern states that had any really good success with the product producing bigger bucks. The only success I even heard of was the deer ate in in the fall, which is too late for real nutritonal purposes.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:02 AM

Mantis, Yes, I do some work for them every now and then and spend a bit of time at the research facility. I became acquianted with Craig and Neil a few years back through a mutual friend. We have been friends ever since. They have been very good to me. I will be in the Biologic booth at the Harrisburg show this weekend if you wanted to put a face with the name and enjoy a great show too.

lunchbucket, I have heard that responce from many people at shows but what I find is that they are usually missing one crucial step in the process which almost always leads to less than adequate growth. These seeds are grown in the north and a lot of their tolerance testing is done here. This is done, as we do experience very adverse conditionds at the research facility. Whether it's: cold, drought, heat, moisture, poor soil conditions etc. Craig and Neil have experienced it over the last 12 years of planting food plots. Moreover, I have no direct ties to Biologic and I have tested other seeds with very good results but after planting what Neil recomended I have had my best results. Take if for what it is worth. You seem to have a wealth of knowledge on these subjects and I respect your opinions very much. Hence, I would think you might want to give it (Bilogic) a shot. If I can make it grow, anyone can! That way you can form your own opinion. Best of luck. TGK
Old 02-12-2004, 08:13 AM

Great point lunchbucket, in most parts of the northern U.S. the deer have plenty of food in the fall. The crucial time of year is post rut and late winter until green-up. A fall food plot may hold the deer to hunt over but for antler growth late winter to green-up is when the deer need the extra minerals and vitamins. The bucks start antler growth internally as early as Feb., the doe are pregnant and have little high quality food available this time of year. After green-up the deer have a huge source of food. For healthier deer try to help fill the void from late fall to spring.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

chhunts,

Craig and Neil explain the use of brassicas. This cultivar is from New Zealand and said to be a superior cold weather forage. With the right soil conditions and moisture of coarse, planting it in spring this plant is reported to grow knee high by fall and not touched until first frost. Up to Ten tons per acre of forage and it stays green threw winter. Enough about what they said......

Did you read the book?

osiris, I don't think I'm going to the show but if I do it will be this Sat. I'll hunt ya down if I go.

Quick Reply: Grow 'Em Right {the book}

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.