Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Deer food plots

Old 02-13-2004, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deer food plots

How are you intending on spreading the lime? Fertilizer?
Old 02-13-2004, 12:37 PM

colomabuck, I will try to put a type of "diagram" together and email or sail mail it to you. I have to build one (a boom) soon anyway. Email me and let me know where to send it. [email protected] TGK
Old 02-13-2004, 05:52 PM

osiris, I'm looking forward in seeing what you send me. I e-mailed you on where you can send me the info. Let me if you got my e-mail, and good luck in making your boom!
Old 02-16-2004, 09:30 AM

Honestly, we bought all the makings last year and never made the thing due to lack of time. I ended up walking behind the ATV swishing the wand from side to side. [:@] We planted nearly four acres last year... so you can imagine that I am defiantly going to make the boom this year! In the extra time that we spent spraying by "hand" I could have definatly built a boom and saved a few hours. Took the better part of 2 days to spray last year, should be more like 2 to 4 hours this year and we will have at least 3 more acres to do (if I had to guess). I will get you guys the directions as soon as I get the thing built. Should be in the next 2 weeks... if I don't have to travel. TGK
Old 02-17-2004, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

What about your soil pH? Have you limed?
Old 02-17-2004, 08:30 AM

lunchbucket, not sure if you are refering to me or not but I will answer your question, just in case. I am fortunate enough to have great soil that ranges from about 6.2- 7.0. I still do lime but at about the rate of a quarter to half ton per acre with nothing in some plots. We fertalize with myriad types dependant upon what we plant. We use Mirage instead of Round UP to kill weeds as it is much cheaper and exactly the some thing. Hope this aswers your question. If it wasn't directed towards me, sorry to make you read more. TGK
Old 02-17-2004, 07:53 PM

osiris, I got your e-mail and I'm looking forward to see what you come up with on your boom. Keep us informed with your progress
Old 02-18-2004, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

Thats OK, I like your answer Osiris but the question was to SCbowhuntr...
Old 02-18-2004, 01:03 PM

I live right down the road in Berea, but hunt in Abbeville. I have been planting a mixture of clover, wheat, rye, and winter peas. I just disked and threw out the seed and had a decent plot. I sure would like to find some land to lease near yours!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2004, 04:04 PM

stangjo,
Not too many deer up here that's why we're trying to plant to try to attract some. I have seen some great bucks come out of Abbeville.
Thanks for the info