HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Best red briar killer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/51240-best-red-briar-killer.html)

OhioDuckHunter 01-29-2004 05:00 PM

Best red briar killer

What is the best way to kill off the thick red briars? I have about 65% of my 26 acres in them and do not have a lot of money. Should I just get them with my trimmer/blade? Thanks.

Bob

psandhu 01-29-2004 05:39 PM

RE: Best red briar killer

goats.

timbercruiser 02-01-2004 11:16 AM

Contact your local farm agent and get him to recommend a spray that will kill them. You can't keep the dang goats in a fence.

LLBUX 02-01-2004 01:32 PM

They'll just come back if you cut them off unless you spray the stump with a product like TORDON(SP) or other form of brush killer.

Roundup will knock it back but usually won't wipe it out.

That brush is actually pretty good habitat. It provides good browse and security. I wouldn't let it spread any further.

Good luck!

titleist_03 02-02-2004 07:29 AM

What does red briar look like?

RonM 02-03-2004 12:21 PM

I think you must be talking about mulyi-flora rose, the answer is a bulldozer.

lunchbucket 02-04-2004 07:49 AM

Dozer/root rake or a heavy concentrate of the Round-Up.

Wooddust 02-09-2004 10:16 AM

OK...lets step back...If its Multiflora rose ilay brambles, you can spray and kill it effectively.

Being that you are in Ohio, go to a farm supply store and buy a product called Crossbow. It is not a restricted use chemical. Dow has a website that has a ton of information on brush control. www.dowagro.com/theranch

Timing of application is key...in both cases apply it mixed with water at a 2% solution when the plant is in flower.

Cutting them down will just make it harder to kill in the future and will be a temporary fix at best.

Roundup will not work. And Tordon is not effective on Blackberry, just Multiflora rose...plus in Ohio you cant but Tordon.

titleist_03 02-09-2004 10:50 AM

Woodust: The link isn't working.

farm hunter 02-09-2004 07:17 PM

We have what we affectionately call "red rippers" - they really establish in open fields after a crop like corn - (2-4 years). They are a Blackberry Species, I think - the stems are a ruby red. I've never tried to properly identify the species -

Maybe this is what is mentioned?

"Round up" worked OK - but we had to wait till Late spring until enough green -growing leaves made it good to apply.