HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   corn planter seed plates? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/50708-corn-planter-seed-plates.html)

psandhu 01-25-2004 06:23 PM

corn planter seed plates?

i got a really old 2 row planter a few months ago. can't find any different plates for it. the current plates are for corn. i want to plant sunflowers. i put the planter on the tractor and put some seed in the hoppers, then turned the wheels. i turned it for 30 feet then counted the number of seeds that dropped. each hopper dropped about 115 seeds, that's about one seed every 3 inches on average. it dropped them in clusters of about 5-8 seeds per drop. the notches in the plate are too big.

does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the notches in the plates smaller? some sort of tape would probably work, but i'd like to get it right the first time and don't want to waste a year because the mods broke down while planting the sun. what sort of filler in the notches would work best? duct tape, scotch tape, bondo, hot-melt glue, fill the whole notch in with epoxy then carve out individual notches? thanks.

Russ otten 01-26-2004 04:30 PM

RE: corn planter seed plates?

The seed plate looks to be from a Burch planter, Have you looked around? Maybe antique store, talk to some farmers in the area, they may know where they may be someone that deals in old equipment. Check Flea markets, etc. You could luck up on a couple plates. Take one of your plates along to match it up with any you find.

Russ

LLBUX 01-26-2004 05:27 PM

Talk to some auctioneers in your area. They often sell planter plates as part of estate or farm auctions.

Good luck!

psandhu 01-26-2004 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: LLBUX

Talk to some auctioneers in your area.
Good idea. Why didn't I think of that? I know auctioneer that has done our local DU banquet and will talk to him.

Right now I'm experimenting with filling the cells in the seed plates with something semi-strong, machineable and removable so that I can have a much smaller cell. Hot melt glue and caulk is what I'm trying.

RonM 01-26-2004 07:42 PM

ps sometimes the seed sellers provide plates for their product, if they have them..

LLBUX 01-27-2004 04:31 PM

It has been about about 25 years since plateless planters became the standard. Not aware of anyone still making or selling planter plates.

You might try epoxy in your plates. Use aluminum foil to hold it. Plastic wrap may just melt. A tube of two part epoxy is around $4 at Walmart or Autozone. It will be much more durable that the caulk or hot glue.

Good luck!

psandhu 01-27-2004 05:44 PM

hot melt glue didn't work worth a darn, it fell out of the cells with a little bit of pressure.

next try, polyurethane. i'll tape the outside of the cells, fill it with the urethane, then let it dry overnight. then put it in the freezer for awhile then cut out the notches for the seeds with a dremel tool. the reason for the freezer is that i read that polyurethane will cut/grind/shape like steel does when it's cold. if it's room temp, it can melt instead of being grounded away. heck, i can work on it outside, it's cold enough. if that doesn't work, the urethane can be taken off with a wire brush in a drill.

then i'll try the epoxy. my only concern is how difficult it would be "undue" what i've done with epoxy in case i want to go back to corn plates in the future.

how well does epoxy adhere to slightly pitted but rust free cast iron?

RonM 01-27-2004 05:56 PM

ps what is the model number of your planter, I might find a set laying around somewhere..

psandhu 01-27-2004 06:07 PM

it's a Dearborn 12-88 planter.

i've read that Ford 309 plates will work too. they are 7.25" OD and 5.25 ID with 4 notches on the inside. i tried a Ford tractor dealership and they couldn't locate any.

farm hunter 01-27-2004 09:47 PM

All good advice.

Some other advice to consider:

Try bigger seed - like "Giant Sunflower"

Try mixing in an inert object, of similar size - thats readily available - Don't use seeds though (like oats - which are the right size) unless you want a mixed crop, because they will compete. Lentil, or some soybeans, or other beans are possible choices - even peas if you want to mix seeds. If you want a pure stand of sunflowers - Rabbit food or cheap dog food is a good - cheap filler - Who knows - it might add a little Nutrients as well.