Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Anyone used Alfa Rack?

Old 02-18-2004, 06:49 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone used Alfa Rack?

Deermanup, thanks for the response. I actually started this thread some time ago. The reason I wanted to hear what people had to say is that I did a lot of reading of your literature about Alfa-rack. What was written seemed to be impressive and made sense, but I wanted to get a feel for what sort of experience folks had who used it in the field. I am in the process of trying to find the right product to use for an area like the one you described. The area in mind is a hillside (at least part of it is) and is sandy, well-drained soil all the way around.

Obviously, I want something that attracts and grows nice, healthy deer. but I also: 1) don't want to have to replant every year, 2) want it to be tough enough to endure a dry spell here and there, 3) something that grows aggressively enough that it does a lot of its own weed control by crowding out many of the weeds. Now I do know that there are several products out there that claim to do all of the above...that's what advertising is all about. I guess I am looking for some substantiation from users and the like as to what products have worked well for them.

I have an open mind on the subject, but would like to hear of any independent tests done vs. competing products, or any other hunters who have used such products in the past. I guess I need a little more proof before making a final purchase.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting the responses -

Personally Alfalfa has always been tough for us. Our main problem is Ph - starting with 4.7-5.4 ph.

Ex-acidity for us is high - and even large amounts of lime end up reduceing this number first - never have we got near 7.0 or even 6.5 Ph.

For that reason, we use clovers.

The neighbor farmer plants aflafa anyhow, so my 1-2 acre plot probably never would have compared to his several 10+ acre plots.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

Kyler, after the green up you will want to wait about two weeks. When the product is growing you will want to spray the area with the Poast Plus at a half strength. Go back in two weeks and respray at half strength again. This should take care of the grasses. Weeds are usually kept in check by mowing. The more the weeds the more you will want to mow. The more you stress the weeds with mowing the less weeds should be liely to come back.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:17 PM

Lunch Bucket,

Thanks for the info. I will attempt this plan in the spring and hopefully I get some success with it. Is it better to mow too early versus too late? I wanted to let the plants get established a little before mowing, but before I knew it, the grasses just went to town. Dryness really isn't an issue as I can water the plot which is about a little less than an acre by rotating sprinklers.

I was thinking about adding some more seed to the plot to help it blossum. What are your thoughts on this? If I was to add some seed when in this spraying/mowing process would you do this?

The grasses really choked a lot of the plants out, what do you think will happen to those areas after the spray applications? Bare spots? The old Alfarack seed will grow? Or is this when I should re-seed.

I really appreciate your help.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

Mow when the plants are growing. Be sure to have sharpe blade tips or the plant will shred and further stress will result and a way for disease will be introduced. Mow to a height of 4-6 inches. If the product is higher than 8 inches you will want to mow in increments of no more than 4 inches at a time.
Mow when there is a chance of rain then spray a day or two after the rain. The mowing will stimulate growth and allow for a better absorbtion of the herbicide. The taller the plant the more spray you will need. Never mow or spray when it is dry or windy.
Now, we have some customers that mow when the plants are dormant and fertilize a few weeks or a month before green up. They say that when the ground hits a tempature of over 55 deg F that that's when to spray. They say this method betters any other method and a more complete kill of the grasses and the grass seedlings is secured... Go figure!!!
Old 02-20-2004, 11:09 AM

Lunch Bucket,

Thanks for the tips once again. I will implement this plan and hopefully I can turn it around. Thanks again.