HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   field cover (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/48476-field-cover.html)

wigmap 01-06-2004 11:35 AM

field cover

I have a 5 acre food plot. One of my problems is that the field is wide open no cover for animals to feed. They feed in the field very seldom during the daylight for this reason. I am looking for ways to provide cover in the field year-round. Does anyone have any feasible ideas. I have tossed around the idea of putting in some small metal fence posts and running some woven wire on them and then planting some type of ivy that would grow on the wire. Don't know what ivy type would be acceptable though I don't want it to run on the ground and take over the plot. I could periodically use the weedeater to keep it off the ground. Any other thoughts to provide cover?

Ballistictip 01-06-2004 06:10 PM

RE: field cover

How about corn? By planting corn in rows 15 to 20 feet apart you will be creating cover for the deer and at the same time providing food. It would me much cheaper and quicker than the fence idea as the ivy will take some time to provide decent cover.

Dan O. 01-06-2004 06:14 PM

Ballistictip is right about the corn. You could also try sunflowers, prairie grass quick growing shrubs/trees. Deer don't need vegetation to be very high to start feeling secure.

Dan O.

lunchbucket 01-07-2004 07:34 AM

The corn and sunflower thing is a great temporary solution. If this is a permenant field you will need to start looking for some trees and bushes. Often times the franchise nurserys have an after season sale on bushes and trees for next to nothing. The problem is the time it takes to establish the transplants. Autumn olives are prolific growers and cheap. If you have a 5 acre field you need to break the field up into sections. Start planting the choosen cover medium in the middle of the field and span out.

wigmap 01-07-2004 10:38 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I like the idea of a permanent fix not a temporary that has to be redone every year. I had thought about planting some pines but decided that I did not want the hassle of root systems if I ever wanted the trees to be gone. So from a permanent tree based idea what could I use that could be easily removed. As you can see I want the best of both worlds. This is how I came up with the fence post idea. Those little metal posts can be driven into the ground fairly quickly, but I am still looking for other ideas.

psandhu 01-07-2004 01:59 PM

egyptian wheat grows pretty tall, 5-8 feet. at least that's how tall some of it that volunteered was in my dove field. i plan on planting a few patches and strips of it this spring with the seeds i saved.

Dan O. 01-07-2004 04:03 PM

Poplars grow very quickly and the root systems deteriorate in a few years after cutting, especially if you fertilize them.

Dan O.

lunchbucket 01-08-2004 07:09 AM

If you plant trees and shrubs you are going to have roots. The pines will root shallower than just about any of the trees. I wouldn't worry, let the next owner decide the fate of the trees.

greg-dude 01-08-2004 09:56 AM

Why not some tall warm weather grass like switch or tall blue stem or a combination of several tall grasses. Briars and other weed plants will soon fill any holes. This will provide cover as tall as 6 feet. Planting will done only once and they should provide cover the first year. If you ever change your mind, you won't have to hire a bulldozer to doze out trees or shrubs. Maintenance should be minimum as well. A burn once every 3 to 7 years.

The disadvadtage would be no tree stands.

farm hunter 01-08-2004 09:32 PM

You have to be a bit careful - it depends on the terrain and surrounding field habitat - but "Screening Cover" can sometimes make a deer avoid a field if they feel "boxed in". Keep that in mind - you know the area best and can probably make that judgement. I like to leave the "area of concern" - (usaually a roadway) open for scrutiny by the deer - (I don't always do this - but in some cases its been needed).

Personally - I like splitting a large field - Offer a hedgerow (pines, spruce, hardwoods, etc) - Make it 40 yds wide and it may not have to go all the way across. I don't like fields less than 2 or three acres - and except for a quick snack - I feel deer do not like small plots either. I've been splitting up a 20 acre field the last few years with corn, trees, grasses, and Rye - with some early success - I hope for more as the trees grow (over 1000 pines and spruce).

A "point" of cover extending into a field from a bedding are - is a good option too.

Good luck