Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Preparing a plot

Old 12-19-2003, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Preparing a plot

I'm gonna begin preparing a 1 acre plot this spring for an early fall plantning. Currently the spot I'm going to plant is full of small brier bushes and waist high weeds. What can use spray on them to kill them? Will round-up take care of it all? I know to wait until things start to green up in the spring but I'm wanting to get the chemicals bought ahead of time. Thanks
Old 12-19-2003, 04:48 PM

Default RE: Preparing a plot

I'm about in the same situation. I am going to brush hog my newest plot (#3) as soon as the snow is gone to stimulate the brush and weeds to start growing and then I will spray it with Roundup. I've done this before and it seems to work OK. I started a plot last winter (#2) by burning a slash pile of old dead tree limbs and brush. I then brush hogged it and got out the Roundup next. I kept spraying the newly emerging weeds as the came up. I have alot of weeds around my area so I'm waiting until late this summer to plant just to make sure I've killed all of the weeds and brush. I'm planning on planting annuals for a couple years just to make darn sure the weeds and grasses are totally gone. I didn't do this to my first plot (#1) and it is full of weeds and grass. I'm going to spray plot (#1) with a grass killer this spring. I might need to totally kill it the following spring and start over depending on how it looks next summer. I planted clover in it and the first year it looked pretty sad but last year it grew really well. The grass and weeds that I didn't kill the first year have started to invade pretty heavily. I have also used 2-4D Herbicide and some Tordon to kill some of the really nasty weeds that Roundup doesn't kill. Just remember, some chemicals just burn the plant down but doesn't kill it and some totally kills it. It just depends on how tough the weeds are.
GoodLuck I hope some of this had helped. I am still learning as I go so I'll keep your informed how mine our doing and keep us posted on how yours is doing.

ArcheryElkDude[8D]
Old 12-19-2003, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a good idea with the bush hog. I'm gonna try that. And then maybe take a weed eater and really cut it off close to the ground. Then till it up. Wait for some of the weeds to start coming back and then hit it with roundup. Probably a couple times over the summer. Then by the time I'm ready to plant in September I should have taken care of most of the weeds. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-20-2003, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

Dag after all that work you guys are doing, you should seed with white clover.
That way you'll feed deer and control the weeds. Once the clover is established it should choke grass, weeds, etc. Just keep it cut back about 3" - 4" tall.
Thats what I'm doing this year.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

Do soil samples now and start planning for the spring. Rid the area of brush and grasses. Can you burn now?
Old 12-30-2003, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

To risky of an area to burn. I think what we're planning on doing is take a brush mower of some sort and nocking everything down. Then take a disk or tiller and get everything tilled up and get the lime mixed in. Then I'll spray everything new that comes up. And I think we've decided to wait and plant the whole acre in the fall. That way the soil will be better prepared. We're planning on making it a legume plot. Lots of clovers and chicory and some brassica's. There are enough soybeans and corn here in Illinois, so we're gonna give them something else.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

Your on the right page. Do the Round-Up thing to the area first then bush hog and wait for a few weeks. Then if anything turns green re spray with the Round-Up. You should be able to burn if the dead stuff is less than 6 inches. Then disk throughly and then lime and float disk the lime in. If you are going to wait until fall you will want to disk and Round-Up a few more times. You should have a great field. Do the soil sample now.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

titleist, Psandhu, recommended a Generic Round Up made by Gordons farm back in August and it worked great, sprayed the brushhogged weeds, briars, Poison etc. once and they were dead. It cost $171.00 per bottle and covers 15 acres. Thanks again Psandhu, You saved us alot of $$$ and it did a great job. Pike. here is the link,weed killer thread
Old 01-06-2004, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm only planting two acres total on two different farms. I know it would save me money in the long run to get a bottle that sprays 15 acres but money will be tight enough on this project and I'm hoping I can find a smaller bottle. Say one that only covers 5 acres. That way I can spray both places at least twice through the year.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

You might want to contact someone in your area and split the expense. We know where Round-Up is sold for $125.00, incl. deliv., a bottle and will do 6-18 acres

Quick Reply: Preparing a plot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.