Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

South Arkansas Food Plot Problems

Old 12-22-2003, 02:14 PM

Default South Arkansas Food Plot Problems

This year we planted Imperial Whitetail Clover, rape, winter wheat, and other types of clover and oats. Maybe it was the weather or the type of soil......maybe we should have limed or fertilized but other plots that we have done in other areas have done great without the fertilizer or lime.

Can someone who plants in this sandy soil, Please tell me what they plant and if liming and fertilizer in this area is a must.

Also, I am looking at planting Half of the food plot in something like the Tecomate Lab-Lab.....has anyone tried this and how does it work......

The other half of the plots I am looking at planting the Monster Mix or something by Tecomate.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:30 AM

Default RE: South Arkansas Food Plot Problems

One thing you can't tell is if the soil is correct for the crops without a soil test. I am in northern MS and most of the soil is alkaline. Get a test kit and send it in. If you list the crops you plan to plant, they can also tell what fertilizer you may need. Also check at your local seed supplier or even a farmer or two about what crops are best for your area. Those brand name seeds may not be right, they are designed for a great area. Local seeds may outdo them and should be a great deal cheaper. Dry spells can injure a plot in sandy soil, especially early on when root structure is small.
I'm not the best at getting successful plots and if you read some of these posts, you'll find a lot of us get curves thrown at us.

Russ