Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What is the optimum buck/doe ratio?

Old 12-29-2003, 12:41 AM

Default RE: What is the optimum buck/doe ratio?

Even on the best managed ranches in texas the buck:doe ratio is rarely seen below 1:1.5. That's 1.5 does for every 1 buck. A ratio of 3 bucks to every 1 doe isn't going to happen in the wild, maybe in a small fenced enclosure, but not in the wild. Studies have shown that when the ratio gets much below 1.3 does per buck you start to get a lot of broken antler tines and an occasional dead buck from the aggressive fights that take place. In any wild herd the does will always outnumber the bucks.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with boltman -

2 adult does for every adult buck is the goal for most management plans. Some are 3 does for 1 buck - but its not that big a deal. Fawns are assumed to be 1:1 male to female and are not considered in the ratio.

A higher buck ratio than does is TROUBLE - unless the area is fenced. Even then - you will have broken antlers the norm on smaller deer.

In MOST cases - If the area is not fenced - you WILL NOT maintain a higher buck than doe ratio - bucks simply will relocate.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:53 AM

Management of White-Tailed deer on South Texas Ranges

"Since the desirable unit in a deer herd is the buck, quality deer management programs strive for a 1 buck to 1 doe ratio........ A 20% buck harvest in a herd with special emphasis placed on spikes, management deer (inferior deer), and mature deer........... This allows better antlered matue bucks to do the majority of the breeding."

Who wrote it- - - Larry L. Weishuhn or also known as "Dr. Deer"

I just did a little more digging to reinforce my point.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

boltman, I read the same article in D&D mag. many deer mangers are changing their opinions of having a buck to doe ratio of under 1: 1.5, I also agree that a ratio of 3 bucks to 1 doe in a free ranging herd is impossible. On our 1,250 acres we are shooting for a 1:1 ratio and we are currently under a 1:1.5 buck to doe ratio and I dont see any need to be much lower than that. What we need to do is get & keep our herd under control, which is going to be a huge problem in the future unless the ODNR. gives us extra doe tag's. Currently we have about 50 DPSM. on our property, 24 of which are 2.5 year old bucks or older (And I think having a good populaton of older bucks is far more important than a perfect buck to doe ratio) The problem I see is that next year will be our 3rd year of passing up every 1.5 year old buck and we only harvested 9 shooter bucks so far during the last 2 years, 2 bucks in 2002, and 7 bucks in 2003 so far, and the only way to be able to harvest more deer will be to bring in more hunters, which is something we do not want to do but if we dont, dispersal is going to start to be a real problem in the future,maybe we will just bring in a few gun hunters. Pike
Old 01-05-2004, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

No more than a 3:1 doe to bucks...
Old 01-15-2004, 08:21 PM

hey guys i have a REALLY important question for yall. how do you make your own post or what ever it is called where everyone can see your section in the messageboard area? i need to know ASAP

if you know how then please email me at [email protected] or just put it in this area. i REEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLY need to know as soon as possible.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:40 AM

Most will say that 3:1 and down to 1:1 is the optimum level. However the closer you come to 1:1 the more intense rut you will see however, as some have stated before I think it might be better to stay in the 3:1 range. I must say this is pretty to achieve in many areas especailly where I live and hunt. We try really hard to harvest as many does as possible but with so many guys being "buck hunters" it is tough to close the gap with the amnount of property we have. Someday....
Old 01-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

one mature buck to 2-3 mature does. period.