Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What is the optimum buck/doe ratio?

Old 12-14-2003, 09:15 PM

Default What is the optimum buck/doe ratio?

I have heard several statistics and opinions. I want to find out once and for all. The last ratio that I heard was 1:1. What do you guys think? thanks ahead.[&:]
Old 12-15-2003, 05:46 AM

Default RE: What is the optimum buck/doe ratio?

I do not feel as if there is a "perfect" ratio of b/d. I would prefer a 1:2 as to a 1:1. Simply because of unforseen factors in a population. Drought, excessively hard winter, immigration, emmigration, mortalty, natality, etc... Your overall management stradegy and long term goals will give you a better idea of what ratio would be best suited for your area.

My .02

Remember, suggested advice is like and arm pit. We all have a few and most of them stink. I dont care even if it is from a biologist - or maybe a want to be.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:44 PM

I think a 1 to 1 is also bad,kill all the does and you will have a loy more bucks.and when you see a deer just shoot,it will be a buck.[]

I don't think you need to take the herd down to 1 to 1 , or even 1 to 2,or 3.it all depends on what type of hunting you do and what part of the country your in.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:19 AM

My opinion is about a 1-4 ratio. This is close to what I would figure will give the bucks reason to keep looking. A friend who hunts just over the line in Tn sees sometimes 50+ does in a cutover and maybe 4-5 bucks. Definitely an imbalance. A few years back, I had too many does on my property and hardly any bucks, the does left to find the bucks. Then they came back after the rut. Now I am seeing signs of fair chase, not many rubs, but the scrapes are out there.

Russ
Old 12-17-2003, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

The benchmark of the ratio question is this, do you have large bucks? Naturally you should have a 125 class for every 600-1000 acres in the northern states. If your bucks are small it is because of nutrition. If there are too many doe's there cannot be enough nutrition to give all the animals the equal oppertunity to reach their genetic potential. Go for the 2-4:1 first. If you start seeing results then continue. There are many factors but nutrition and age are about the only factors we can somewhat control economically. Keep starving the deer and shooting the young bucks and I can gaurantee you will not get the genetic benifit that is available in your area. Food and supplement...
Old 12-22-2003, 08:57 PM

lunchbucket - are you saying 2 to 4 bucks per 1 doe. A little lop sided wouldnt you say.

Many top game ranches in Texas are around a 1.5:1. Some a 1:2. these are ranches that are between 50-60% of K, sometimes less. Proper nutrition, AGE, and knowing what to shoot when, and keeping numbers within CC will produce a fine herd of deer.

One could consider this an opinion but it is a proven fact. At least on Some Texas ranches that produce 160-200+ class deer every year.

on the other hand-
We rattled up 1 - 150 class and 1- 160 this weekend. None of us could get a shot. We seen 2 other 150-160 later that afternoon. We moved out of the area to let it rest till next week-end. After it warmed up some on Sunday morning we couldnt get anything to come to horns. Our bucks are statrting to group up again. Our peak rut is over. I will be pulling out the 30.06 in place of the Mathews this weekend. this is my last year on the Kennedy Ranch and I will not go away empty handed.

Later.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:30 PM
Spike

Lunchbucket is right on the numbers. The best deer heard would be 3:1 That is 3 bucks to every doe. That would be the best. and for what I have seen its the best HUNTING as well.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:39 AM

3:1 is lopped sided

With that many bucks and so few does you will have more confrontations between bucks and that means higher mortality and more broken tines.

You have a higher dispersal rate among whitetail bucks than does.

Bucks require a much higher nutritional level than does, especially during antler ossification.

If you have a 1,000 acre ranch. Say your CC set by your biologist is 1 deer per 8 acres. Thats 125 deer. So you tell me you need 94 bucks and 31 does. Sorry pal but your way off.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:17 PM

That is just out of whack! lol.
I think that the best is more of a 1:3 buck:doe ratio...
Old 12-28-2003, 07:25 PM
Spike

Well I think im still right on the numbers . For one Most of the hunters here dont live on a Game Ranch in Texas. And the 94 bucks that you had figured up are not all Breeding age deer. You have to figure in the button bucks, 1 1/2 year old, 2 1/2, 3 1/2, 4 1/2, 5 1/2 and older bucks And then out of those 94 Bucks you have 34 breeding class Quality Whitetail Bucks Inwhich It comes to a 1:1 ratio Not all Bucks breed and fight Unless all the Bucks are in the same age class. And if you have that your Heard is way out of balance. Here in Northern ohio we have all different age classes and no more mortality in fighting or broken tines. Sure your going to get it but no more than normal. When you get two big bucks fighting anything can happen.
So you should have a 3:1 ratio which is a well balanced buck to doe heard. If you thought what I wrote was three breeding class bucks to One Doe I apologize for not making my self clear in what I wrote.

Quick Reply: What is the optimum buck/doe ratio?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.