Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

question greg-dude

Old 12-12-2003, 10:19 AM

Default question greg-dude

In the lime post you wrote about your method of spraying with roundup, burning, planting an annual and maybe going3-4 years before planting clover.

How do you do your planting? I was always under the impression that no matter what you sprayed or planted if you tilled the soil you would get weed seed germination from the seeds under the surface that you tilled up.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:23 AM

Default RE: question greg-dude

Wigmap

We plow and/or till depending on the plot.

You're correct. Everytime that you till, seeds are exposed to sunlight. This can promote germination. We plow and till which exposes the weed seeds when we plant our annuals. Then we kill the weeds by retilling, mowing, or roundup at the end of the annual's growth season or even during the annual's growing season when needed.

We are primary concern with grass seeds because those are the most costly to control and can not be controlled with clipping. If you till for several years and plant with annuals, the amount of grass seed (and others) in the top few inches of tilled soil will be reduced. Then when we do finally plant a perrianal legume, the competition from grasses is also reduce. We seldom need to spray for grasses in our legumes. We are in the process of replanting an older Imperial plot that was 5 years old. Grass in that plot was not prevelant until its 4th year.

In one of other plots that was plowed. tilled and planted in a legume in it's first year was completely overrunned by grass in it's second year.

Like I said, this system has worked well for us.