HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Soybean plot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/45918-soybean-plot.html)

coolbrze0 12-11-2003 10:29 AM

Soybean plot

I'm interested in planting a small (1 acre) soybean plot in VA. I guess the 1st thing that needs to be done is a soil test. Can I do a soil test now, then add fertilizer/lime if necessary, and still plant the beans in the spring? Can anyone give me some tips/pointers. I don't know much about soybeans and planted a few acre plot a few years ago down at the farm and it didn't do to well. Any soybean tips are greatly appreciated! Or... I could just go w/ clover here instead. The clover has done nicely in the past and it brings deer in. I was just thinking of some variety. What do you all think?

whitetail1 12-12-2003 02:46 AM

RE: Soybean plot

i know the deer love my soybeans. with a 1 acre plot it might not last long if you have a good deer population. i have had great results just disking in the seed and cultipacking after. i would suggest using roundup ready beans and spraying 3-4 weeks later with ru.

lunchbucket 12-12-2003 08:18 AM

We wouold suggest that with only one acre you plant a forage crop like alfalfa or clover. Do the sample now and lime now. Fertilize when planting. Stay away from the salt based fertilizers...

coolbrze0 12-15-2003 05:41 AM

Thanks for the replies. What's cultipacking?

Rauch 12-24-2003 12:36 PM

after you disk and plant you run over it all with a machine that covers the seeds and lighty tamps them

you can get the job done with a fourwheeler and plow by draggin the plow across the field prepindicular to the lines made when you disk then just drive around the field slowly to pack it

farm hunter 12-29-2003 10:15 PM

You have gotten some good replies - It was hinted at but you need to understand that a 1 acre soybean plot may only last a few weeks if the deer population is anywhere near normal.

Soybeans can be good - but a plot of at least 3 acres - and preferrably over 5 acres - may last the whole warm season.

Good luck

huntingnut 01-04-2004 03:41 PM

I've taken quite a few deer in soy bean fields

coolbrze0 01-06-2004 06:52 AM

I'm thinking of doing a 2 acre patch of clover instead. At first, the beans sounded good, but I know from past experiences the deer tear the clover up. We had beans a few years back, but it looks like the deer prefer the clover.

lunchbucket 01-07-2004 07:27 AM

For the high quality targeted clovers you will need at least a good sandy loam with a soil pH of over 6.0 to 7.0 and a top soil of 8-12 inches or they will not do well. Planting hill tops is not advisable.

farm hunter 01-08-2004 09:48 PM

The best advice I can offer on clovers is:

Plant with weed control in mind from Day One. A compacted soil, level seeded clover plot will outperform a hastilly seeded - non compacted plot - HANDS DOWN.

Even Still - You Must Mow, you may have to supply P&K, you may have to spray.

General mowing should be enough to maintain a plot once established - If establishing is a problem - then USUALLY PH and/or moisture is the culprit.