HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Lime (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/45667-lime.html)

CALEB L. 12-08-2003 07:10 PM

Lime

How much does lime cost. Could you give me an estimate of abouch how much lime I would need for 147,000 feet of food plot. About how much would that cost. Thanks

psandhu 12-09-2003 07:16 AM

RE: Lime

6.75 a ton around here, you haul you spread. there's a quarry about every 45 miles. 2 tons per acre should be about the most you'd need, you need a soil test first. 3.5 acres x 2 tons/acre x 6.75/ton = not too much money. you need to do it soon, as it takes up to 6 months for the lime to start working.

Russ otten 12-09-2003 03:59 PM

Don't know where you live but, lime prices vary according to its availability. In our area it runs $20-25/ton. This is bulk; if you buy by the bag, better have a big balance in your checkbook. ( The $25 price is delivered and spread).

Russ

CALEB L. 12-10-2003 07:46 PM

I live in El Dorado, Arkansas. I was thinking about planting imperial clover. Has any one used this how is it, any other suggestions. If I do what when would be the best time to plant. psandhu said it takes 6 months for the lime to start working thanks for telling me this our I would of put the lime out about a week before I planted.

Russ otten 12-11-2003 07:19 AM

Caleb,
Here's a few more things about that lime. Lime mixes best and fastest when it is fine ground, but its lasting effects can be shortened as the fine stuff can move down thru the soil easier. I've known farmers in northern IL. to spread lime with a coarser grind, even chunkier. When they did this, they would almost double the lime needed, as it would take much longer for it to combine with the soil. This way they can spread every 2-3 years without re-applying. Lime was very plentiful there which kept their cost down.
Impperial can make a good plot, as a white clover it can persist for 3-5 years depending on how much grass you can keep out of it. I planted Ladino White and Kenland red clover in my plots. Much cheaper at the local Coop. My ladino is still hanging in there but does have quite a bit of grass in it. The red was preferred more by the deer, as they consumed the whole plot. I will plant much more red this coming spring. (They walked through the White to get to the Red.)

greg-dude 12-11-2003 07:48 AM

Around my area, lime is about $10 to 15/ton spread. About half the price if you buy in bulk and spread it yourself which is a real pain. So there are regional differences. Talk to a farmer in your area if you know one. It does take lime a while to work and it will need to be replied eventually. Soil testing is the best suggestion to know how much and when.

Check out some of the threads on clovers on this site and other sites and you can get a wealth of info on what to do. Some of the info on planting dates and site preparation will be specific to an area. So be aware of this as you read what others suggest. QDMA.com use to have some good info on food plots.

I have had good luck with imperial clover. The best growth for me occurs in its 2nd to 4th year. You will have to control grass one way or the other and there are several ways in which to do so.

Good luck

wigmap 12-11-2003 10:54 AM

I have had good luck with Imperial. The first spring we planted we would see 20-30 deer a night in about 5 acres. 2003, the second year we saw less deer but they have still been working it hard. The clover is all but eaten to the ground. Grasses have started growing in it. We will probably only get one more year out of plot. Mowing has helped but spraying would probably be the most effective but for a large plot can be expensive.

CALEB L. 12-11-2003 06:49 PM

greg-dude,
What are those ways you are talking about to get grass out. Thanks every one for helping.

whitetail1 12-12-2003 02:44 AM

poast or vantage sprayings will take care of the grasses.

greg-dude 12-12-2003 07:12 AM

Spraying the chemicals mentioned above or others that will kill grass and not the legumes is one possibility. We use Select (if I remember correctly) when we do spray, , which is similar to the ones mentioned above. This is by far the best way to go if you have the money. A legume plot can be establish immediately and spraying these chemicals will control grasses. Other weeds can usually be control by mowing.

What we do in a new plot is use roundup or some similar nonbrand name herbicide to kill all the growing vegetation in late spring and/or early fall. This is relatively cheap compared to the grass killing herbicides and easier to apply. We try to hit it when the grasses are actively growing. From there we generally burn the plot off if to kill grass and other seeds on the surface and to eliminate the surface vegetation that tend to clog plows and discs. (Be sure to create a fire break by plowing or discing a strip or two around the field's edge if you try this.) We generally plant an annual for several years like wheat, milo, soybean, or something else. We disc as needed and even spray roundup again if grass comes up thick. By the third year, most of the grass seeds have been eliminated. This is generally when we plant some long lasting legume like a ladino clover (Imperial clover).

We can do this because we have the time and have four areas with food plots. This method also provides wildlife with a variety of options. Generally we rotate food plots so we have at least one annual of some type growing in one of them.

This system may not work for everyone, but we are very please with our food plots. We just need to work in improving the natural habitat more.

greg