HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Using a 2 row planter? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/45100-using-2-row-planter.html)

psandhu 12-03-2003 08:34 AM

Using a 2 row planter?

I got this 2 row planter a few months ago. After a bit of tinkering it now works. It's set for 30" rows. I plan on planting about 10 acres with sunflowers for a dove field this spring.

My questions...what initial groundwork needs to be done to the field for this spring before using the planter? I've worked up the soil with a disk the last few years and broadcast sunflower, milo, millet, fertilizer, lime and disked it all in. Do I need to disk it before using the planter? There's alot of stalk residue on it right now, plus alot of pigweed that is germinating. Should I disk it again in the next few weeks, or should I do it just before planting? If I disk before planting, should it be parallel, diagonal, or perpendicular to the rows?

How deep should I set the depth of the two blades that spread/open the soil? The toplink is a fixed toplink. Should it be the kind that sort of swivels around (like a bush hog or a grooming mower, that way the blades just push in with their own weight). I can't find any user manuals for this implement, it's a Dearborn 2 row planter, probably made in the '40s. The tractor has 35 horse.

I'm pretty sure that I'll have more questions about this whole process when it's about time to plant. I know very little about agricultural practices, as you can probably tell by now. Thanks.

greg-dude 12-05-2003 08:22 AM

RE: Using a 2 row planter?

I thought maybe FarmHunter would have some experience in this and reply.

I don't have any experience in the planter at all because I only planted legumes and grasses on my farm. I seen a few of these, but never used them. However, I may be able to help a little.

First on the pigweed. You can allow it to germinate, but don't let it seed. If its just germinating, I can't imagine it going to seed this late. In fact this may be good in eliminating some of the weed seeds in the soil.

The trash in the fields: I am pretty sure that when you use that planter, the field will have to be fairly trash free. I think you will have planting problems if you don't eliminate the trash. I would disk everything in just before you plan to plant. The trash is good now to prevent erossion. If situations allow, you may even want to burn the field off, but be careful.

As far as what direction to till, I never heard anyone ever said it made a difference in relationship to that type of planter. It may be easier to follow the tracor tracks as you plant if you till at a angle before planting. I don't think it would make much difference in the actual success of the planting.

As far as the planter is concern, I can't help you. If you can't find out any more information, let me know and I will consult several old time farmers in this area that probably had used such a machine.

Russ otten 12-06-2003 06:09 PM

RE: Using a 2 row planter?

If you cut the plot this fall, it will let some of the residue compost over the winter. But in the spring you should disk and if possible drag the field to get a fairly smooth bed. The planter will work better and plant at a more consistant depth. About 1 inch would probably be a good depth to shoot for. (I've planted corn and Cow peas slightly deeper, trying to foil crows and other birds.)On your top link, an adjustable one will help in keeping your planter level and also help in keeping your seed depth even.
Russ