HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Placed acorns in specific locations for growing oaks but.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/43727-placed-acorns-specific-locations-growing-oaks-but.html)

buckmine 11-19-2003 08:31 AM

Placed acorns in specific locations for growing oaks but....

the mice got them.

Any ideas on starting oaks from acorns?

I took a metal bar and poked in earth about an inch. Pushed the acorn down but never covered the acorn. Any suggestions welcomed.....

wigmap 11-19-2003 10:25 AM

RE: Placed acorns in specific locations for growing oaks but....

If you are in an area that previously had oaks or currently has oaks it is very hard to get young ones to grow unless you have some sunlight on the ground where you want them to grow. Oak is somewhat shade intolerant, meaning that they need sunlight on them. Cherry needs even more light. For example in a wooded lot with a large canopy you get very few young oaks that develop and grow, even if you have acorns dropping like crazy every year, but if you were to cut the trees and provide sunlight oaks would reseed themselves on their own. Other seeds may lay dormant for some time until they get the light they need to grow it all depends on the species. I don' t know how to stop the mice.

buckmine 11-19-2003 12:30 PM

I know they need there sunlight. I have been planting them in open areas. I was thinking of doing the same thing and placing a feild rock over them. Next spring I would turn the rock over when the thaw takes place.

Or I would soak them in spring and once the root shows itself I would put it in the ground.

I plant pumpkins and two springs ago I had problems with mice. If its not one thing it is another

Dan O. 11-19-2003 07:33 PM

I' ve had moderate-good success by mixing a bottle of Tabasco (or other hot sauce), with black pepper and peat moss. Just put the seed in a bag with the mixture and shake it up before planting. Also; you should use the back of your boot to close the hole after planting and plant as late in the spring as possible. Store the seed in protected cold storage until spring.

PS; wear rubber gloves and don' t wipe your eyes or forehead if you start sweating after you start planting.

Dan O.

Tree climber 11-21-2003 03:58 AM

start them in pots at home and then plant the young seedlins in the spring.you get a better crop that way.just make sure you cover the pots wit screen ,if you have squirrels around your house.thats the only problem I have,they dig them and eat the acorn.

I plant pumpkins also,the (wood Rat) give me a problem some times.if they would eat the whole thing, it would be OK.they just chew on one and go to another and mess up a bunch.[:' (]. if you can find a fox or coyota den,thats the place to plant(in that area).you find fewer rats and mice there.:D

jtom 11-21-2003 04:45 AM

Yes I agree that starting them at home is the best bet. But my question is this, are you planting trees so that your grand children or perhaps your great grandchildren will enjoy them? If so then place the acorns in your freezer for a few days then plant them in warm moist not soaking wet soil in a peat pot type container. Set them in the sun and keep them moderately moist(again not wet). Plant them in early spring and once the seedlings begin to look like real trees (this could take several months) plant them as you indicated in the full sun and continue to keep them moist by watering every few days. Depending on the weather you could water as little as once a week for the first growing season. If all goes well after the first season, then you are on your way to enjoying the bounty of your efforts. Only catch is that it will take about 20 years give a take a couple years before you can begin to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

buckmine 11-21-2003 08:53 AM

Well I am 37 now so 57 would be fine. I am just thinking down the road for my son and nephews. Would love to make my dads land a paradise for deer. Mature oaks already there. My brother and I have planted apple trees the last ten years. Would like to start on some crab apple trees. Also started on evergreens being planted. Trying to make patches of cedar, spruce and pine. Also plan on 5 very small food plots. And when my father passes on the land I hope to hire a good farmer for the feilds. Right now my father lets a not so good farmer farm the feilds.

Tree climber 11-21-2003 09:13 PM

if you plant liveoaks,give them a little 10-10-10 each fall. they should produce a few acorns each year after the 9th or 10th year.producing more each year.

Strutter 11-22-2003 01:05 PM

Check with your state forestry service. Here in KY we can buy seedlings of just about any native tree in the state. We can get 500 seedlings for about $80.00, or 50 for $15.00. Just abut all states offer this I think.

Good Luck,

Here' s the link for your state to buy seedlings.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/forestry/.../ordering.html