HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Turnips / Clover (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/425202-turnips-clover.html)

turkman1 03-09-2021 03:15 PM

Turnips / Clover

Last year I put in acre of turnips. I like to put in that acre half turnips and half clover. Can I do that.

sugarcreek402 03-14-2021 05:14 PM

turnips

Originally Posted by turkman1 (Post 4389112)
Last year I put in acre of turnips. I like to put in that acre half turnips and half clover. Can I do that.

They say don't crop the same land year over year with same crop due to diseases, but to do it once prolly won't cause you an issue, just wouldn't do it year over year over year.

mrbb 03-14-2021 06:31 PM

yes you can, I have done it countless times without any issue's on several different properties!

as long as the soil PH is correct and you add nutrients as needed, you can plant same crop yr after yr
farmers do it all the time on corn and soybeans as proof!

if your worried about any issue's
just use a different type of turnip/rape/brassicia

there are tons of varieties and as such you will NOT be planting the same make up plant again!

now on a side note
your NOT planning to MIX the two seeds into one growing plot are you??

as that really won't work out well

as turnips will NOT bneed to be mowed, where clover will be!

and most times turnips, brassicia/rape and likes, are planted in the fall and NOT the spring time too, so?

just saying!

don't plant these types of seeds in spring time, or you will just have rotting away turnips come late early summer! and a very un attractive plot for deer hunting in fall!

turkman1 03-15-2021 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by mrbb (Post 4389323)
yes you can, I have done it countless times without any issue's on several different properties!

as long as the soil PH is correct and you add nutrients as needed, you can plant same crop yr after yr
farmers do it all the time on corn and soybeans as proof!

if your worried about any issue's
just use a different type of turnip/rape/brassicia

there are tons of varieties and as such you will NOT be planting the same make up plant again!

now on a side note
your NOT planning to MIX the two seeds into one growing plot are you??

as that really won't work out well

as turnips will NOT bneed to be mowed, where clover will be!

and most times turnips, brassicia/rape and likes, are planted in the fall and NOT the spring time too, so?

just saying!

don't plant these types of seeds in spring time, or you will just have rotting away turnips come late early summer! and a very un attractive plot for deer hunting in fall!

The field I plant turnips one time I am going to plant half it in clover. Just asking if is ok.

Rob in VT 03-15-2021 01:41 PM

You can usually plant the same crop for 3 years as long as you add the proper fertilizer. I have planted plots half clover and half brassicas and the worked out great.

mrbb 03-15-2021 02:07 PM

again YES you can surely plant HALF of a field in clover if you want too
NOW to get it to grow and thrive, you need the site to have the proper nutrients and PH levels for clover to strive in to do so
and as stated, clove tends to be a crop you have to maintain more,as in moving and or adding extra nutrients as needed!

the OLD turnip/brassicia plot, will need to be turned over most likely before planting it again
if you planted HALF field in turnips LAST fall
you can PLANT a crop in them now and then plant your Brassicia's again in the early/late summer, so there a more of a hunting plot come deer season!

Brassicia's are NOT meant to be planted in spring time!

a CHEAP easy plot to add is something like Buckwheat!
seeds be fairly cheap, grows in SO SO soils, and can be turned over easy to pant later on with your brassicia's/turnips/rape seeds in later summer early fall!

I have been part time farmer adn been planting food plots strictly for wildlife for over 30 yrs , so I have a lot of experience e in planting things!
glad to help if I can!