Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

46-0-0

Old 10-07-2020, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default 46-0-0

I recently planted a brassica plot with Austrian winter peas on September 12th. The reason for planting the peas was because the brassicas are nitrogen lovers and the peas fixate nitrogen from the air to the soil and also the deer absolutely love the winter peas. I have read that it is best to throw out 46-0-0 30 days after planting to boost growth of the brassicas. I have also read that you can burn the plants by throwing out too much and to be careful with the amount you throw. Hurricane Delta will be bringing a lot of rain to my area this weekend, so by Thursday would be an optimal time to throw out the 46-0-0. Since I have a nitrogen producing legume planted with the brassicas, would it be better to not throw out any 46-0-0 or throw out the right amount? If the best option would be throwing it out, how much per acre would you recommend?
Old 10-07-2020, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

have to ask, how is the Brasilia growing now,l does it look like it needs anything
if so, then you have your answer
if not, then well add the right amount!
I know 46-0-0 is the same thing as just plain old urea, as that's what I call it when I buy some
I have NEVER seen it burn anything, even when I spilled a bag on things
I am sure it can, but for me, its never been an issue of adding too much, it takes a LOT to change anything from my experience and its absorbed a lot thru the air, not just bleeding down into the soil,. the plants can absorbs it thru the air

if it was me this time of yr, even with rain coming, I would ONLY spread it towards very late in the evening, so it can release slower at night and any dew or condensation will help it stay put near plants!

good luck
Old 10-12-2020, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

if your brassica plots are turning yellowish i would add some 46-0-0 or when they got to be about 4 to 8 inches. Hopefully, you would get a good rain fall within a couple of days.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

The brassicas were mostly green, but I did have some yellow in the plot. The plot is .41 acres, so I applied 40 pounds of Urea to the plot. Ended up getting 2-3 inches of rain in my area from Friday-Sunday (threw out urea on that Thursday). I haven't looked at the plot since Sunday. Going to take a look at it tomorrow to see how it looks and I'll let yall know! Hopefully it is nothing but good results! Thanks for yall's input, it is much appreciated!
Old 10-27-2020, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes the location of the yellowing can be helpful. Nitrogen is mobile, both in the soil and in the plant. Nitrogen deficient plants will start to yellow on the older growth first.