Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Would you Drive Deer on property you trying to manage?? >

Would you Drive Deer on property you trying to manage??

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Would you Drive Deer on property you trying to manage??

Old 11-07-2003, 12:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Would you Drive Deer on property you trying to manage??

I leased 1,250 acres in SE. OH. in August 2002 and brought in 11 of my friends, I set up a 8-pt antler restriction with a ear width spread ( average 2.5 year old buck for the area) The property is very thick and the only openings is the 30 acres we cleared this year for food plots but were not able to get them planted but thats another story!! Prior to us leasing the property it received very heavy gun hunting preasure, mostly by groups of 20 or 30 guys driving off the property and shooting at any thing that moved. Seems like most of the gun hunters in that area hunt that way and I can understand why because of the thick clearcuts which makes up over half of our 1,250 acres. It is very hard to find an area that you can see more than 50 yards. last year we harvested 2 shooters and hit another that wasnt recovered in bow season and no bucks in gun season, since I harvested my buck in bow season and filled my doe tag in about 10 minutes the first day of gun season, I drove around the property patrolling for trespassers and watching a large group' s of neighbors driving off land surrounding us. not one of the 7 gun hunters last year harvested a buck, all seen bucks but only 2 of them were shooters and they were jumped while still hunting, most of the deer on our property didnt even know it was gun season because we had very little hunting preasure, something that everyone of our members being from PA. were use to having while hunting with a gun. So far this season we have seen 14 different shooters ( we only seen 5 shooters for the entire bowseason last year and the best is yet to come in the next couple of weeks) this bow season and harvested 3 of them, Our antler restrictions seem to be working great but some of the members are kicking around the idea of driving the property during gun season after the first couple of days ( there was hardly and hunting preasure on the properties bordering us after the 3rd day) I agree that it would be pretty successful but I think we would have to be idiots to drive deer on our property because of the chance of driving the bucks we have been protecting for the last 2 years off. They think because our property is so thick that the deer will just run a couple hundred yards and bed back down and they wont leave our property, I think they are wrong, I have also read article' s state that if you push bucks off your property by driving them that there is a good chance that the bucks might not ever return to it even if they are not harvested on other' s property, I agree with these articles because our 1,250 acres is currently no better or worse than the 5,000 acres that surrounds us, so there is no reason for them to return if pushed off. A few of the members have claimed that the only reason I am against driving is because I have already harvested my buck this year and it doesnt benefit me to do so. I am also concerned that a few might not properly identify their targets and shoot some of our gifted 1.5 year old bucks by mistake and also wound some because of limited amount of time they will have to identify a buck as a shooter and the limited visability of our property. What are your opinions of driving deer on property that you are trying to manage and hold as many bucks as possible? Thank You very much for your opinions. Pike
Old 11-07-2003, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Would you Drive Deer on property you trying to manage??

No, nine, nix, never. Let your neighbors drive them and you give them a safe haven. Patience is a virtue.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with tbonecpa.

Old 11-07-2003, 09:26 PM

I do drive for deer every now and again, but never on my own property. The only time I ever go drive/push deer is when someone asks me to help on their place. Just too much of a chance pushing that monster off a place they feel secure. Stick with your thoughts and feelings about the issue, it will pay off in the long run.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nope, you mess with a mature buck' s sanctuary and he will either move a mile or more away or at the least go nocturnal.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

No don' t drive - at least not REALLY do deer drives - We allow hunters to do a 2 man push (one in stand - one skirts the bedding area" - but usally later in the season when not so many people are on the neighboring land. Most times these deer don' t know they are being " pushed" and don' t go very far. It is very important to have predetermined stands set up and to know the " escape" routes.

Note - though that we only control about 200 acres - a fraction of your spread.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice guys!! The matter has been resolved, No Deer Drives!! I think most of our members realize that it might have helped us take an additional couple of bucks this year but it wouldnt be worth the risk of pushing other bucks off our property. And to date we have seen 18 different shooters, Its amazing what just one year of Antler Restrictions can do. Next year we begin " Operation Steal Our Neighbors Deer " By planting 40 acres of corn and food plots, there isnt any crops planted with in 5 miles of us. Pike
Old 11-11-2003, 04:31 AM

let your neighbors drive there deer to you,and you leave them alone.tell the rest of your group to hunt the edges where the neighbors are driving to you.
Why drive them back to the others????????????
" Don' t Do It"
Old 11-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with everyone else. No deer drives on my property. Use the trails when moving through the woods.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

I wouldn' t.

Quick Reply: Would you Drive Deer on property you trying to manage??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.