HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   soybeans? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/423507-soybeans.html)

cjben 06-01-2020 12:33 PM

soybeans?

I tried a search, couldn't find questions similar to mine. A local farmer gave me a bag of soybeans he had left over. When do I need to plant them so they will be ready for October or should I plant them to be ready later in the season? I have a tiller available to use. Do I need to wait a couple weeks after I spray round up before I till or can I till shortly after I spray? I do not have a planter/seeder,what can I use to spread the seed? Can I just use a section of fence behind my mower to cover the seed up? or does it need to be deeper than that? Sorry for the questions,but thanks for the answers!!

mrbb 06-01-2020 02:04 PM

well, before someone can tell you WHEN to plant them, you need to tell us where your located at, as location matters as to when you plant them

but general rule of thumb, is about few weeks after your LAST frost is expected will work, as long as temps stay above 50 degree's or so
they can be planted in most northern states, say north of interstate 80, from about Mid May till mid to late June,
if in the south, I cannot really say, as you have more worries about heat than cold tempos to deal with!

and since I have no clue as to how much land your planting here,I will add this,
as in most places a LOT of things will eat soybeans , from the time they sprout till time to be harvested, ,so they might/will get hammered fast if you have many deer in your area! and maybe never make it to hunting season, unless you fence it off or other wise protect it!

an acre of beans on my place won';t last more than a few weeks one ready to harvest,,
heck, 3 acres doesn't make it till end of Dec for me!, fully ready to harvest at about end of OCT to first week or so in nov!, so I can loose almost 3 acres on a few weeks, and being deer know there there, 24/7, a LOT of deer get nocturnal here and eat at night when its safer!
Food plots have really taught many deer this side IMO!

and a side note, some info about soybeans
is they are typically an easy crop to grow, they don;t need a ton of things to be happy and many times will even grow just tossed onto softer soil, not even needing to be buried much! if at all!

but when your dealing with 1 yr old seed or older, I would recommend you coat it with some inoculate to make sure it has the best chance of growing, so no work goes wasted, most AG stores will carry it and its cheap and easy to coat seeds with it!

and if round up ready beans, its a GOOD idea to come back and spray after they get going pretty good, will allow what ever nutrients in soil get to beans and NOT weeds!, which will make for much lower yields, and with beans again, you want all the yield you can get, as they will take a beating fast once things find them!
last, if you plan to plant more in the yrs to come, if you join The National Turkey federation, they run seed programs and they sell left over 1 yr old seeds, almost dirt cheap, you only get what they have, and its on a first come first serve deal, but its a great way to get a LOT of seed for cheap if you do your part and work with your area's chapter's seed person!
I have bought many 300-400 dollar bags of seeds for 20-25 bucks a bag thru there program, on MANY seeds, NOT just soybeans!

cjben 06-01-2020 03:01 PM

Sorry,guess location would have been nice. LOL Midwest Illinois. Well past the last frost so I am good to plant them now. I was asking when to plant them so they would be ready for October deer season. This will be a kill plot,not a year round food plot. Probably about 100'x100'. There is food competition in the area,just not on the 18 acres I own,so this won't be their only food source. I am attempting to draw more deer off of the neighboring properties. Round up won't kill the beans after they start growing? Do I need to get a special kind of round up? What I have now kills grass and weeds. I am in the beginning stages of food plots,if this experiment works,I will put more plots with other types of crops next year or even around august for the fast growing stuff. Thanks for the reply!!

mrbb 06-01-2020 03:18 PM

round up will NOT hurt ROUND UP READY SEEDS
this means seeds designed to be sprayed by round up and like chemicals, there engineered to not be killed by it

most all seeds today planted by farmers(minus organic farmers) will be round up ready, should say this on the bag!

next every seed has a growth rate from time they start growing to time there mature, NOT all seeds have the same time frame, so pending brand and engineering of seed, determines this, so unless you know exactly what seed you have, I cannot ell you when ti will be most appealing
an example, , is it a 80 day seed a 110 day seed or 120 and so on!
on average, most soybeans have a 90-120 day growth rate, and then you have to allow for them to dry, which is a lot pending on weather cooperation! could be 2 weeks or several or more l
mother nature has ways of making t fast some yrs and LONG others!

so figure on this if the bag of seeds is missing info(tags can come off)

but trying to again SAVE a 100x100 ft plot, is NOT going to be easy, even with other foods in area, things will still eat them, only way you will SAVE it is, with a portable E fence set up, which can be done for a fair price if you look, a solar charger and some wire and post, isn;t hard to fence off a 100x100 ft!

other wise, you may NOT have a plot come Oct to hunt over, as much might be long gone!

something like turnip 's or, the marketed for hunters versions, so called BRASSICIA, might be a better option,a s in these things, they typically DON"T draw deer to them till you have a few frost and then them frost change the chemical make up of things, turning other wise bitter food into sweet food, thus why they become more attractive when its colder than other plantings!
there seeds are cheap, but they some times need better soils, than beans do to grow well!
and more tricky on treating for weeds!
some will grow a bulb/turnip, some won't and just grow a leafy plant that again gets sweeter as temps get colder!

rogerstv 06-02-2020 05:37 AM

The farmer should be able to answer most if not all your questions. You are still in time for planting beans in IL. I would plan for late October maturity as deer will eat beans at all stages of growth. They will eat them off the ground after the pods open up and drop the beans. If you still have a stand well into November, you are winning the game.

Get a couple soil samples, take them to your local farm service agency, and tell them you intend to plant soybeans. Then amend the soil as recommended. The farm service can answer a lot of questions too.

Each time you work the ground you plant new weed seed.

I would plant as late as possible, fence the plot to prevent deer access (if you have time and money), and open it up after the neighboring crops are harvested. The deer will damage the fence until they learn it is present. You will need to monitor it regularly. Fencing will be a pain in the a$$ as it needs to be sturdy and tall enough they cannot jump over it. I would not get too giddy over a small bean plot in farm belt Illinois unless it is hidden away from roadway and pressure. Beans are much better than nothing. But, something exotic that deer eat and cannot be found for miles will attract more game. Otherwise, you are planting something they can find everywhere which leads back to the reason I would have them mature as late as possible after all neighboring crops are harvested.

kundancab 10-29-2020 02:19 AM

Soybean or soybean is a kind of legume native to East Asia. It is widely cultivated for its edible beans and has many uses. Traditional unfermented food uses of soybeans include soy milk, which is made from soy milk and tofu skin. Fermented soy foods include soy sauce, fermented red bean paste, natto and soybean eh.