HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Tractor problems (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/420748-tractor-problems.html)

270sniper 04-12-2019 04:40 AM

Tractor problems

I have a 2001 Kubota tractor 32 hp, 4wd, FEL, with about 700 hrs, I believe the tractor is a DT 3000. The gear lever that engages the tractor from neutral into either fast or slow broke. The guy who is trying to fix the tractor said it may be a major problem because he has to take the tractor apart like splinting the tractor in half.

He offered to buy the tractor off of me for a couple of thousand but I have no idea what it is worth or how much it would cost to fix the problem.

It it should be noted that there is a Kubota dealer near me but I vowed not to go to him because I had issues with the owner and his mechanic who is the owners son. A lot of the locals also complain about their service.

if I sold the tractor what would be a fair price

mrbb 04-12-2019 10:13 AM

email a few other kobota dealers of your issue and ask for a price quote to fix!

have your model # and VIN handy! as they may ask for it
this is my suggestion to you
then you will have a better idea on what the costs are and not just what this guy is saying or having to go back to a dealer that you don't wish to work with no more!

MudderChuck 04-13-2019 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by mrbb (Post 4354763)
email a few other kobota dealers of your issue and ask for a price quote to fix!

have your model # and VIN handy! as they may ask for it
this is my suggestion to you
then you will have a better idea on what the costs are and not just what this guy is saying or having to go back to a dealer that you don't wish to work with no more!

Good advice. Another tip would be to keep a copy and/or a record of any correspondence or conversation about the issue. You may want to contact a regional or national customer rep. I've had decent luck going to the top. And it has been my experience the higher the stack of paper you can provide, the better the outcome.

mrbb 04-13-2019 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by MudderChuck (Post 4354788)
Good advice. Another tip would be to keep a copy and/or a record of any correspondence or conversation about the issue. You may want to contact a regional or national customer rep. I've had decent luck going to the top. And it has been my experience the higher the stack of paper you can provide, the better the outcome.

I can agree and dis agree with this logic, and I will say why
YES some times going over a local dealers head to show how there treating there customers and or pr service
can get some sanctification and or results
it can also backfire on you, making the Local dealer screw you even more if you ever need them
they can make you wait longer for parts/service, claiming busy or??
and just make life harder on you, say some day you working and something simple fails and you just want to grab a part off them
they can be jerks to you in a time of need

so some times, its not worth the storm you make going over there heads, have to ask yourself what will the outcome be at BEST and is it worth it to maybe burn a close bridge, as some times thing break and you don';t want to wait to order parts online and or travel far to go get them, even if you DON"T desire to do business with the local shop, some times there still a needed place to have close by

and trust me I get this all too well
I had a local to me NH dealer charge me over a grand for some services, only to find they never did them!
I would love to go in there screaming and or over there heads to get this dealer in trouble with its upper tiers
BUT the next closest dealer is pretty FAR away, and the costs and down time to HAVE to head there for dumb simple parts. aint; worth tit to me
sucks for sure
but I feel I would never get my money back, and now KNOW how this dealer is, and NOT to give them any service work, but fo in a pinch when a machine breaks down and its going to cost money or waste time to go else where, there a much needed evil to keep over making a big fuss and loosing them all together, or never trusting them again on parts
be damaging them before handing them over to you, , they might have in stock and tell you they don't, or crap like that.
some times you have to sadly bite your tongue to benefit from this stuff!

270sniper 04-14-2019 01:33 PM

The problem that I had was the mechanic is not good and his daddy didn't do anything to resolve the issues even after I emailed him several times and calling saying he should resolve his kid's mistake because he was the owner. He kept giving me excuses saying his son was busy or on the road and he would have his son call me. it's only about 5 years now and I am still waiting.

I took my tractor there because I was having a problem with the joystick for the FEL and to get some new hydraulic hoses. Also I wanted to get all the fluids changed along with any other maintenance recommendations. My bill was over a thousand dollars that included pickup & delivery which was $150 to go 3 miles.

When I got the tractor back the FEL was not working properly because they had several hoses hooked up wrong. Several weeks later, I noticed the hoses were colored coordinated with the joystick and I reinstalled them correctly. I had some other issues but I don't recall what they were. A friend of mine who is handy figured it out.and he fixed it.

MudderChuck 04-14-2019 09:38 PM

One reason I learned to fix my own junk is that I've never found a mechanic that I could trust.

I learned enough to know when I was being lied to or BS'd. I've heard that before, the problem was labor intensive and they would buy it from me (at a steal).

I can't remember the last time I gave any of my vehicles up to a mechanic and they didn't neglect to fix the problem or half-assed it. The last time was when I had a new auto trans put in my Jeep, when it got home the first thing I did was check the fluid level and for leaks. No leaks, but the fluid was six quarts low. They only put in half the oil I was charged for. That is just one of my many bad experiences.

IMO take some pictures and send them to the regional offices and see what they have to say. It is likely to take more than one letter and be a process.

mrbb 04-15-2019 07:10 AM

well fixing your own things is great if you have the skills, ability and the HEALTH and TIME to do so but I know for a FACT NOT everyone is capable of doing there own work and or learning how do, and the time spent on learning and mistakes that can be made by , lack of training.learning curve can get super costly REAL fast!
YES it can be done, but its NOT something I personally feel most can do any more, all the more so on newer tractors that are almost impossible to be fixed at home, due to the fact so many electronic's and special tools needed these days to work on the, the costs lone would never be worth buying these tools!

the good old days of being a MR fit it at home, have pass IMO

and this is also why I personally still like and use and own OLD tractors LOL
they were made so the average idiot could work on them, NO bashing, but many old time farmers were not educated with much if any schooling, so this is a FACT, and why throngs were made to be simple on them
add in most were OVER BUILT, as they didn't do extreme testing to find the breaking point and THEN ONLY build to just the edge of it
they over built to be sure it lasted and worked!
and why there are so many tractors from the 40's and 60's still working today
I doubt you will see any tractors from about 2000+ still about 60+ yrs down the road , all that cheap crap they stuck in/on them will; have long fallen apart on age alone!
Modern these are MADE top fail so you buy again,l
its NOT about a company's reputation that makes sales anymore, as it was long ago, its now about silly marketing adds < and they care less about returning customers, as populations grow, there is as they say a NEW IDIOT Born every minute!
sorry about the rant LOL

but sadly is what it is IMO!
IF the OP has Interest, he might be able to find a good repair guy by going to several business that deal in heavy equipment,
construction companys, oil companys, or the likes
I found my repair guy asking the owner of my local home heating oil business, that also owns a bunch of heavy equipment.
and the man has been a GOD sent for me, smart, skilled works fast and CHEAP, as my health limits what all I can do anymore
he will do 10 times the work in 1/4 the time any dealer I have ever used will!

but again, you have to look to find folks like this, I think I asked about 25 places before I found him!

Bocajnala 04-15-2019 01:02 PM

That's why I'm using a 39 Allis Chalmers b and a 73 economy jim dandy.

Every time I go look at new tractors I take a look at the engine and think "i don't even know what I'm looking at"

-Jake

Bocajnala 04-15-2019 01:02 PM

That's why I'm using a 39 Allis Chalmers b and a 73 economy jim dandy.

Every time I go look at new tractors I take a look at the engine and think "i don't even know what I'm looking at"

-Jake

North Texan 05-15-2019 09:11 PM

Not familiar with the DT 3000, and assume you are are talking about the L3000 DT? If so, that tractor should be worth $10,000 if it is in any kind of shape at all with those hours. If it is running and in good shape, probably more like the $12,000 to $15,000 range. So no, don’t take an offer for a couple thousand. You’ll be making less money on the deal than the mechanic when he turns around and resells it.

Hunterdave69 07-06-2019 08:47 AM

Looks to me like you’ve got yourself a tractor problem!

270sniper 07-06-2019 06:17 PM

I did. It cost me $1800 to get it fixed

mrbb 07-06-2019 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by 270sniper (Post 4357799)

well that sucks, but at least maybe it will stay running for yrs to come for you, and over time not seem like such a bad repair bill!
all things break, even new stuff, so, some times, what it is! sure that doesn't help much, but your not alone on repairs
I had a darn NEW battery maintainer on my skid steer last yr, go crazy, over charged the whole system and cost me about 2 grand in repairs, all just trying to save me the problem of a dead battery, by using the maintainer, could have bought a new battery ever yr for a LOT of yrs , but some times that' s just life, , things go wrong and you end up paying to get past them!

Bocajnala 07-06-2019 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by 270sniper (Post 4357799)

Did you end up going through a dealer?

-Jake

270sniper 07-08-2019 03:59 PM

No. I had a guy that used to work at the Kubota dealer that I had problems with that now does work on the side. The price also included a new starter and alternator and new hydraulic and oil fluids.