Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Mystery scat - what animal?

Old 12-02-2018, 03:04 PM
Spike

Default Mystery scat - what animal?

Hello, I found a large animal dropping / scat on my property unlike anything I have ever seen before. I am hopping that maybe one of you all can help me identify the animal that left the scat. Thanks for your help. I live in rural Missouri and regularly see deer, geese, raccoons, possums, and all the other animals you would expect to see but today I stumbled across a large animal dropping unlike anything I have ever seen before. The scat was found in a wooded area but only about 20 feet from a large open field and only about 150 feet from a large pond. I regularly see deer, geese and other animals around this area. Please see the attached picture of the scat. I placed a ruler next to the scat for scale. The scat was light grey in color. Appeared pasty or like wet clay in texture but was raining at the time. There was hair mixed in the scat but the scat was not full of hair. Next to the scat pile on one side only there was a slide type disturbance on the ground that was about 4 inches wide and about 12 inches long. It looks a bit like the animal that left the scat may have tried to cover the dropping the way some dogs do. However, if the animal did try to cover the dropping it did not do a good job - it certainly did not bury the droppings. By the size and amount of the scat I think the animal must be fairly large. Any idea what animal left the scat?
Attached Thumbnails Mystery scat - what animal?-20181202_152206.jpg  
Old 12-02-2018, 03:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Coyote droppings.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep. Looks just like the Coyote droppings in my area.