Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What did I plant please help

Old 09-17-2018, 02:21 PM
Spike

Default What did I plant please help

So I planted a food plot in mid michigan.i did half tall tine tubers by white tail institute and the other half imperial clover by whitetail institute. The picture I have is supposed to be the clover which it obviously is not. I'm wondering what it is. Can you help me identify? The tall time tubers came in beautifully and are not pictured in this.
Attached Thumbnails What did I plant please help-24239.jpeg  
Old 09-18-2018, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

What I'm seeing is some type of greens. Definitely not clover.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pull some up and see if it is a Radish, leaves look like Radish? If not Radish, best guess is something from the Brassica family. About a hundred different varieties of Brassica, many are hard to tell apart until they grow some and/or flower. Young Rap looks like that also. Crush some leaves and smell it, if is young Basil the smell will tip you off. Mustard, Basil and Rap are all related and have varieties of their own, sometimes hard to tell apart in the early growth stages. Basil has some varieties you'd never now where Basil by looking at them, except they all smell the same.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like rape to me. Great deer attractor after a few frosts here in the middle south.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Picture of Imperial Whitetail Clover in a field. A few volunteer brasicas (i think Rape) included.
Attached Thumbnails What did I plant please help-20180606_172810-1-.jpg  
Old 09-20-2018, 12:52 PM
Spike

Thanks a lot for the input guys..much appreciated. It doesn't have any bulbs on the bottom, and it does smell very good...I just can't believe this came from a imperial clover bag.my other clover plot I planted this year came in beautifully for a first year plot..I'll get the trail cam out and see if their liking it
Old 09-20-2018, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

well not all rape makes a bulb, just so you know,and if it was me I would be contacting the White Tail institute and be asking what happened, they sell seeds at a HIGH price, and you should be getting what you paid for, PLUS odds are it could even be a legal issue, as seeds are regulated by LAW< that is why there are tags on the bags stating what is in the bag
as it is illegal to use certain seeds in certain places, called invasive species, and seeds sold need to be to certain standards, only "X" amount of non labeled seeds/weed and such in a product sold!
at the very least I would think they would be comping you a free replacement bag of your choice!
so if I was you I'd be making a ophone call to them ASAP!

but
Old 10-03-2018, 10:46 PM
Spike

Glad that didn't happen with my WTI clover lol. Did you plant this as a mix? Or separate plots?
Old 10-04-2018, 01:04 AM
Spike

good information ,it is seperate plants