Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Equipment to prepare food plot

Old 06-22-2018, 03:20 AM
Spike

Default Equipment to prepare food plot

Hello guys!
I just purchased a new tractor to develop 10 acres of food plot. It is all over grown with small brush, high weeds and some small stumps. I plan on chopping the field off first. Does anyone know of an attachment to put on or replace bucket with to catch rocks, hidden junk before I run over it and it ends up in the chopper? After chopping, I plan on tilling for the food plot planting.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

they sell actual buckets called ROCK Buckets, they allow smaller things to fall thru, and just catch rocks
BUT Honestly, depending on how large the rocks, and or tree's and stumps
you might be better off renting a dozer and having them up root the larger things, a dozer with a ripper behind it does faster work and less abuse to your tractor

NEXT, depending the size of the tractor you have, they actually have devises you pull behind a tractor called rock pickers
depending on design,(one I use) is designed to be towed, it fills up a box with rocks till i then dump it, I dump in field, and and continue, this way you can just drive and get more done faster
I then have to come back and load up dump trucks with a loader

but its all a time consuming project
and depending how deep you go(or shallow) you will be repeating the task every yr or couple yrs
as both frost and plowing/dics-ing the field , will cause rocks to rise to the surface
my one 50 acre field has been rock picked for 40 yrs now, and always seems to be more the following yr< I swear it grows rocks
I had about 2 acres of tri axle dumped loads of rocks at one point from JUST this field, its crazy

both of these ways are NOT fast by any means, a rock bucket is SLOW going, a rock picker is WAY faster
and if this is a rather well grown up field, , a dozer, most likely will be a MUST have tool to get the field ready to be rock picked, and for sure the fastest way! if there are any larger tree/tree stumps or boulders!
Old 07-20-2018, 08:33 PM
Spike

Or you could just hire some kids
Old 07-21-2018, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by StrungOutOutdoors
Or you could just hire some kids
HAHAHHAHAHAA
Good luck wt=ith this idea
try finding klids willing to pick rocks these days, and considering most places might have several tons per acre(could do about 3 ton an acre in my area )
I'd love to see kids do an acre here and HOW Much $$ would it cost me if I could find any

maybe a small 1/4 acre plot its a do able thing, but even still, kids today are NOT that type of physical labor willing to work from MY experience
I did this a few times in the early 90's hiring kids from local football teams, figured they would get a great work out and there coach was a friend of mine who hleped get them hired, but, wasn't cheap and well, they didn;t do that great a job

better off hiring a real company that does this type of work, or local farmer with correct tools to do so!

kids these days, WAY too lazy and would want a fortune to do if if even so! IMO
good idea on paper.or a screen though LOL