Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Sandy Soil

Old 04-05-2018, 07:21 AM
Spike

Default Sandy Soil

What is the best food/seed for a food plot to plant in a sandy soil? For spring/summer? Fall? i live in central illinois where the soil is nothing but sand and the summers can be dry. I was wanting to put a plot in this summer and te replant something this fall. Thanks
Old 04-05-2018, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've put out plots in dry clay soil (south west) and wet (rains often here) sandy soil so I may not be much help.

Mulch and compost is your friend with sandy soil. It may be a mullti year project. Ideally you want to add as much plant material as possible to the sand and cover your seeds with mulch to hold in the moisture.

Sand loses moisture quick. Some plants do well in sand, but may need watering during drought.

Most any type of Squash, Zucchini, Pumpkin or Melon will do well in sand. The down side is they need water. The same with most fruit trees. Busted open Pumpkins will really draw the game in the fall.

Grass is your only real option the first year or two. Grass may die off but will come back when it rains again. Many grasses die off, go dormant and the roots live through drought. Grass is good because you can mow it and add the cuttings to the sandy soil.

American plum may be a good option, though it is going to take a few years to get it really established. http://www.twisted-tree.net/growing-american-plums/ . I've bought American Plum starts in flats, in bulk, fairly cheaply.

If you can find Raspberries or Blackberries growing wild, dig up the root balls and transplant. Throw a shovel full of compost into the new hole.

Sand Thorn is also a good bet, but it grows slow. The ripe berries in the fall draw Deer. The uneaten Berries stay on the bush all winter and are good winter forage. Sand Thorn is easy to propagate, cut out a foot long section of root and plant it in a bucket of compost, keep most. Next year you likely have a new start. Sand Thorn is male or female and you need both.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 04-05-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:07 PM
Spike

Thank you!
Old 07-20-2018, 08:38 PM
Spike

According to Grant woods, Soybeans will work in sandy soil, but if your planting less than 5 acres I wouldn't bother with beans. How sandy is it? You could try brassicas, and if all else fails...Rye.. Wheat may be a solid option too