HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   [Deleted] (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/41766-deleted.html)

Deleted User 10-31-2003 09:09 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

farm hunter 10-31-2003 09:24 PM

RE: sun is lower clover fizzled...no deer interested

Rack -

Don' t loose hope - when the rut really starts to heat up - No food plot is that great. True - clover wane' s a bit in the fall compared to cereal grains or corn - but as long as the snow' s not to deep - it' ll get some use- and it will be very beneficial at greenup.

Also - the summer plot really helps to form " core areas" for doe family groups - and - if all goes well - basic bedding patterns are set and you learn to hunt them. The food plots REALLY make a huge difference after a few years in the program. Mixing up plots, even if they are only 1/4 acre can help too.

Keep at it - you will not regret it.

remingtonman 11-03-2003 12:04 PM

If your in an area with a very good mast crop this year or if a farm close by is cutting corn thats where they moved to . They will be back to the clover when the peak of these other food source start to dwiddle.

lunchbucket 11-03-2003 02:18 PM

Most all deer reduce their protein consumption of protein in the fall/winter months, they start looking for carbs for energy. It may pick up after rut when there' s nothing else for them to eat...

Deleted User 11-03-2003 11:50 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

wigmap 11-04-2003 01:01 PM

Rack, this has been my experience as well. In the fall the clover stops being an attractant. Even when there is nothing else for the deer to eat. I don' t know what everyone else does but in my opinion you are wasting your time hunting travel corridors to clover plots in the fall. It just doesn' t happen. You would think once a draw for the deer always but that has just not been my experience. We can go from seeing 30 deer to seeing 3 on 5 acres and nothing has changed, no acorns, no other grain fields. I guess I will have to start planting something that they desire come October and November.

Deleted User 11-10-2003 05:52 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

germain 11-12-2003 06:27 PM

My clover plot is the opposite this year my first.The deer are hammering it right now even though some frosts have it.I fertilized in early Sept,don' t know if that made a difference or not.

Deleted User 11-19-2003 11:50 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]