Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Weed killer for food plots

Old 07-31-2017, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default Weed killer for food plots

Hi All, what kind of weed killer do you use in your food plots. I am looking for the actual name. Like "Round Up Quick Pro" ect.

also, would you use 2-4-D or Glyphosate?

I hunt a 6k acre track in Upstate SC. My food plots were bush hogged last weekend and i plan to spray 7 days later.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2017, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

I use the Farmworks brand from Tractor Supply. Under $60 for a 2.5 gallon jug and sometimes you can catch it on sale for $45.99 a jug. Be sure to pick up a gallon of non-ionic surfactant to mix in with it. It's about $15 and a gallon goes a long way. This really helps the herbicide to stick to the leaves giving a much better kill.

Don't use 2-4-D as it is primarily for broadleaf stuff and it's not going to kill everything like Glyphosate.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you need to explain what your trying to do?
are you looking to completely klil/burn down the site. or are you trying to control a certain type of weed in an existing plot.
as its a BIG difference between the two?

there are tons of name brands of Glyphosate, most have just a different percentage of Glyphosate in there Brands mix of things, to burn down, NON selective kill of a site.
I have had good luck with Credit Extra for one, but a big key when using any full burn down/kill spray is to NOT keep using it yr after yr, things grow a tolerance to things over time and it seems to work better if you mix things up every few yrs, so that doesn't happen on you!

Tractor supply store and like bigger stores sells a few types,
if you have a LOT of acres to spray, it might be cheaper to HIRE a spraying company to come in and di it for you, they buy in bulk and spray things WAY faster for you, and will see what all your trying to kill, as SOME things need more to kill, than just grass like weeds will?

I have maintained about 15-20 acres of food plots about 20 yrs now and helped on about 500 acres of crops a little longer, as for my background here info for you!
Old 08-01-2017, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

also, you can sprsay right after brush hogging too, no need to wait, but would wait 7 days after spraying before turning over any ground, to make sure it makes it all the way into the roots on things!
I am also a BIG fan of re spraying plot site, 2 weeks or so after turning it over, to kill any new things your turned up from prepping the site!
Old 08-01-2017, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

and this might be a good polace to look and read some info on things, they give decent honest info and they also sell things right there if you wish< you can also go to EBay and find things some times at better prices once you know what you want!

but here is some round up type info and chemicals with names for you

https://www.keystonepestsolutions.co...glyphosates-9/

this is what I am using right now, and have for past 5 yrs, will be switching off it in the near future to something else , just because of the above info on things

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_n...+weeds+2+5+gal

Last edited by mrbb; 08-01-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all of the great info mrbb. I am spraying 5 different 1/4 an acre food plots that have not been planted since 2013. I bush hogged them all last sat. There is a mix of a little bit of everything growing in them.

I purchased 2.5 gallons of Killzall that is 43% Glyphosate. I also bought a small bottle of 2 4 D to mix in my 26 gallon sprayer with it. i also have a chemical "i forget the name" to help it stick to the vegetation.

The Glyphosate lists different mixtures to use for different plants. I cant seem to find a strong mixture of Glyphosate per gallon of water to kill everything. Any ideas?

i had planned to spray them on 8/3 but i now see that they are calling for rain on 8/5. I know most only take 24 hrs to work but i'm a little hesitant since there is so much time and money involved. I would hate to do all that work for nothing.

your advice is very much appreciated.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

I mix it at 3oz per gallon of water and it will kill anything providing you get good coverage. Don't bother with the 2-4-D as it doesn't do anything that the Glyphosate won't. The 2-4-D also has a residual effect and may hinder the clover germination. Follow the directions for the surfactant and mix it as they recommend. A lot of the Glyphosate comes with a surfactant already mixed in but I add it anyway because for me it helps.

If you get it sprayed on Thursday and there's no rain until Saturday it will do it's job. With the temps we are supposed to have this week you will probably see some wilting by Friday afternoon.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Ballistictip, i really appreciate it buddy.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I add some Dawn dish soap instead of surfactants...does the same thing but cheaper.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree about 3 oz or a hair more will be a solid kill all mix, to all but very THINK things like saplings and such if any, but they should get killed when turned over so?/

I don't feel the need to add anything else to that mix, crop oil won;'t hurt, can only help
but I doubt its needed

the bigger problem you MIGHT have is, if this stuff was real tall and thick and you brush hogged it down, you MIGHT have heavy Matting of what you mowed, and that can shield a bunch of things from getting contact with the round up being sprayed,
so you MIGHT have missed spots??

BUT again, IF it was ME< I would be re spraying this plot site 10 days to 2 weeks after I turned it over, as odds are ,. anything let go a while, has a LOT of seeds in the soil, your going to RE plant once you turn it over, and they will have a head start on any food plot seeds you plant, so spraying a second time before planting your prime food plot mix, will give you the very best shot at it taking!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.