Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

New food plot

Old 06-10-2017, 04:02 PM
Spike

Default New food plot

I'm trying to establish a food plot in West Virginia. Last year a cleared about 14 wooded acres to make My plot. Unfortunately, after the excavation, I don't have much topsoil. It is mostly clay with some soil mixed in. I have limed and fertilized but still not having much luck. My pH this spring was 5.5 so I added 3 tons of lime per acre as recommended. I can get rape to grow like crazy but I am wanting to grow other annuals for a fall plot. Any suggestions on annuals to plant on acidic clay soils? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got some small plots where I grow winter Rape because it is hardy. I found out Flax ( Linum Usitatissimum) does even better in the same plots. Flax seems to prefer clay and poor soil and does worse in better soil. It's bound to be a hit with the Deer, my dogs eat it.

Cow Pea seems to do OK in the same plots. does better in sandy soil. Most of the bush beans do OK in acidic soil. I like them because they grow fast and tolerate moderate drought (just in case ).

Funny I have one dog that likes some plants, I watch what he eats, Deer seem to favor the same plants.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

For a summer plot, lablab is tough to beat. It's a legume, so it'll help to improve the soil, and it's very drought tolerant. Unfortunately, it probably won't survive past the first half of bow season, but it'll help condition your soil for a fall planting.

As for fall, I highly recommend Austrian winter peas, oats, and wheat. You could also try clover.