Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

sunflowers

Old 06-04-2017, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default sunflowers

I have soybeans in two 1 acre plots plus neighbors that are farming soy beans this year. I have a third plot that is about 1 1/2 acres and was thinking of planting sunflowers in it more as a bird plot. Any thoughts on doing that if I plant this week? I am in south central kansas in a highly agricultural area.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

A sunflower field will make for some good dove shooting.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pheasants also really like sunflower seeds!
Old 06-05-2017, 04:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Back when we had pheasants our state agency used to sell a seed mixture to people who wanted to plant for pheasants, it consisted of dwarf sunflower seeds, dwarf plants only get about two feet high, along with millet and and some other seeds. It was good for doves and pheasants.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-05-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

You should check with your local extension office, they should be able to tell you if it is a good idea to plant sunflowers this late in the year, I am guessing it would depend on the moisture you will get, I know it get's warm down your way.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Grain sorghum might also be worth considering.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mthusker
You should check with your local extension office, they should be able to tell you if it is a good idea to plant sunflowers this late in the year, I am guessing it would depend on the moisture you will get, I know it get's warm down your way.
This is a very good point, although I'd argue that it's not too late if the weather will just cooperate.

Originally Posted by North Texan
Grain sorghum might also be worth considering.
^This^

I planted sorghum in a mix once and had all sorts of birds in it when it put out seed.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:37 AM
Spike

Most sunflowers have a least a 90 day maturity period. A planting this late is pushing it for early September dove openers. However, it you are not worried about them being ready the first of September, there is still time. Sunflowers are not as easy as soybeans. Doves like a clean ground. It can be difficult to keep the ground clean as opposed to planting roundup ready soybeans. But, if you are just as interested in pheasants and quail - a weedy field might be the best thing. Sunflowers also like nitrogen. Depending on your ground, you may want to hit them with 40 or 50 lbs nitrogen per acre after they are a month old. If you want to keep them half way clean, a pre-emergent before planting and a grass specific herbicide over the top when they are three or four weeks old will help. If you are planting a mix with millet or milo, no grass specific herbicide.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I added Clover in with my Sunflowers and some Milo along the edges....it did great last year so I planted even more Sunflowers this year and the Clover is still flourishing in there.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get them in the ground, what the deer don't eat will draw the birds, but get them planted soon..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.