HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   trace mineral block (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/40997-trace-mineral-block.html)

CarolinaDeerSlayer 10-24-2003 12:00 PM

trace mineral block

has anyone had any luck with the salt blocks? I put one out a few weeks ago and I dont think the deer have touched it. Is there anything I could put on top of it to make them eat it

timbercruiser 10-24-2003 02:14 PM

RE: trace mineral block

Give them a little time. They ususally seem to have a higher salt intake in the spring. We use loose trace mineral salt mixed with Di-Cal and the spring time is their biggest usage.

Dan O. 10-24-2003 06:12 PM

The deer will use the block when they want/need it. They know how much salt they want to consume. If you try to get them eating more you upset their systems. Just keep an eye on consumption and keep them supplied.

Dan O.

KENTUCKY BOY 10-26-2003 02:59 AM

I TAKE A BURLAP SACK AND PUT THE BLOCK IN IT, TIE IT UP ABOUT 8 FEET HIGH AND LET THE RAIN DO THE REST.

lunchbucket 10-26-2003 12:46 PM

The trace mineral blocks are usually above 80% salt and are not used/used very little after August until spring.

CarolinaDeerSlayer 10-26-2003 12:54 PM

thanks for the feedback... I am hunting in NC and have several food plots. I have a ladino clover field, soybean, and corn field. I also have put out feeders filled with Purina Deer Chow mixed with shelled corn but they dont seem to touch the feeder. Out of all those they seem to be eating the corn the most...any suggestions or comments about ladino clover? I know its not Imperial whitetail clover, but they dont seem to be touching it.

lunchbucket 10-26-2003 01:18 PM

This time of the year the deer will back off the high proteins and look for carbs for energy... Do you have an exclusion basket in the clover field?

wigmap 10-27-2003 11:47 AM

Deer Slayer,

I don' t think it matters what type of clover you have. I have imperial and starting the beginning of sept. when our nights get cooler the deer disappear. Before sept. the growth of the plot keeps up with the feeding but once the growth slows down in the fall the deer seem to find other interests. Maybe it is the search for carbs and not protein. Anyway, it does not matter how much it costs or wether it is imperial or ladino you will get about the same results as far as feeding habits. In my opinon. See my post titled " Fall clover"

coolbrze0 10-28-2003 07:01 AM

hanks for the feedback... I am hunting in NC and have several food plots. I have a ladino clover field, soybean, and corn field. I also have put out feeders filled with Purina Deer Chow mixed with shelled corn but they dont seem to touch the feeder. Out of all those they seem to be eating the corn the most...any suggestions or comments about ladino clover? I know its not Imperial whitetail clover, but they dont seem to be touching it.
do deer go for corn this time of year in your area?