Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Need advice on woods being totally stripped of game birds. >

Need advice on woods being totally stripped of game birds.

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Need advice on woods being totally stripped of game birds.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:55 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Hatfield Hunter
Coyote or Wolves ?
Our coyote up here are technically wolf hybrids,but they usually keep to the creek that skirts the bottom of the property because my dogs vocally deter them. We have had a population boom in them though.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know about NY but in PA you have to know what animals are causing problems in order to kill them in closed season, and that is only with damage to domestic animals or property. Wild animals are not anyone's property . Wild animals kill and eat other wild animals for a living, it is what they are supposed to do. You cannot get a permit to kill animals during closed season either by hunting or trapping if all they are doing is taking other wild animals out of the population. I doubt NY is any different. If you are worried about the predators I recommend you get some trappers to trap your property when the seasons are in and shoot crows during the time of the year when it is allowed. Crows are covered by Federal law and they may be hunted for only so many days a year.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 07-22-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I don't know about NY but in PA you have to know what animals are causing problems in order to kill them in closed season, and that is only with damage to domestic animals or property. Wild animals are not anyone's property . Wild animals kill and eat other wild animals for a living, it is what they are supposed to do. You cannot get a permit to kill animals during closed season either by hunting or trapping if all they are doing is taking other wild animals out of the population. I doubt NY is any different.
If i was going to kill them for technical property damage i would not need a permit. I need a permit because i intend to kill them during season. They are not killing livestock yet but they are overkilling prey wildlife,that means that theres gonna be alot of hungry preds eyeing my chickens,sheep,goats and even piglets. I am a proactive person but i would not do anything illegal or out of balance. I appreciate your concern about being over zealous,but i am just concerned about the local wildlife population balance being so wildly thrown that it takes forever to recover,and some poor shmo preds gonna starve this winter because they ate everything.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:30 PM
Spike

I want to thank everyone for all the responses so far,no one in my family hunts so i have no one to discuss this with.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

Have you considered buying a trail camera?
Old 07-22-2016, 02:05 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
Have you considered buying a trail camera?
Money is super tight right now ,i really like the idea of getting one though.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

I'm betting coyotes or wolf.... Nothing else will clear out an area like they will.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:48 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Derag2
I'm betting coyotes or wolf.... Nothing else will clear out an area like they will.
If it is coyotes,will a .22 down them if i can get a good shot? I have done pigs and goats with it but that is at extremely close range.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

You need a better gun than a .22 rim fire, unless you can get a brain shot the animal will die a slow death. I don't care what the animal is, it should not be made to suffer.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You need a better gun than a .22 rim fire, unless you can get a brain shot the animal will die a slow death. I don't care what the animal is, it should not be made to suffer.
I know i have a cousin i won't talk to because she insisted it was humane for her son to shoot them in the neck,his gun is a .22. Wouldn't a brain shot be easier anyway? They are dogs so they have a decent pan size right? My concern with the .22 is penetration at a reasonable distance,say 70 yrds.

Last edited by PoultryPickins; 07-22-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.