Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

public huntin

Old 04-21-2016, 11:48 PM
Spike

Default public huntin

im from Texas and was raised huntin and fishin. but here in Texas almost 96 % of the state is private. ive always hunted private, never public. I know theres national and state parks and forests and what not that are for public huntin. but Ive always wondered in other states with less private and more public land how it worked. I know they have public parks and forests too but for some reason I have this idea that some folks have a cabin or somethin out in the woods the mountains or some swamp, in other words some remote place, not necessarly a 100 acre private farm, but just out in the middle of nowhere can just walk outside off they're property and hunt and shoot. do they live on a piece of property in one of these "national forests" or what? I hope all that made sense.thank yall
Old 04-22-2016, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Traveling to a big public state

Instead of leasing land, I'll have thousands of acres of public land to hunt. Will lower the cost of the trip. Just need some good hiking feet for which I keep in shape. My pre-season workouts were always important.
Once had a hunter disturb my public hunting spot. He was lost; really lost. If you go public, especially alone, don't get lost. That'll end careers.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

I own 40 acres in west central Wisconsin, I am surrounded by about 20,000 acresa of County owned land It seems I am able to hunt a tremendous amount of land, swamps, forests, park type settings slashings its all good
Old 04-23-2016, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where I live in Missouri We own 105 Acres of Private Land....then there's lots of Public Forest Land (Mark Twain National Forest) that We can Hunt on and its only 4-miles from my House There's also lots of Public Conservation Land that is available to Us that the Conservation Agency plants several Acres of different Food Plots on for the Turkey,Quail and Deer that We can Hunt and even those Out of State can buy a Non-resident Tag and Hunt the same Public Land as Us.

There are several Private Land Owners that have Land that butts up against Public Land and can Hunt Thier Property and even use the Public Land that joins theirs giving them a much larger area to Hunt.I know of a few Public Hunting Properties that have Private Hunting noLand in the middle of them and I'm sure there is a few that may actually have Private Hunting Cabins on them too?

Come,to think of it....I've seen some Public Land sectioned off and sold to Private Individuals where they have built Houses or Cabins then the Missouri Dept of Conservation buys other Property they are more interested in and have developed it and opened it up to the Public.

We are Pretty Spoiled Here in Missouri....our Conservation Agency let's Us Hunt Public Land all over Missouri We can take the Hunter Safety Courses free of charge and We have many State Parks we can Camp at for reasonable prices and some of those allow Hunting too!

All our Hunting,Fishing License and other Fee's go to maintaining our State Parks,Public Hunting Lands and many other Projects to Conserve Wild Life and even to intruduce Younger Hunters to Archery,Fishing and Deer Hunting etc!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 04-23-2016 at 04:13 PM.