HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   fall clover (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/40554-fall-clover.html)

wigmap 10-20-2003 10:24 AM

fall clover

I have about 5 acres of clover planted. Over the last 2 years including this one in September the clover begins to stop growing. It stays green but the growth comes to a halt. With this the deer sightings in and around our plot come to a halt as well. Has anyone else had this experience.

Russ otten 10-20-2003 10:43 AM

RE: fall clover

I noticed the same. My clover is standing still, and a half acre of winter Peas are not being browsed. But I' m pretty sure it is caused by the acorns dropping in the timber. If you got Oak timber near, that' s where they' ll be.

Russ

lunchbucket 10-20-2003 05:34 PM

The clover most likely has not stopped, but slowed down. No is the time to do soil samples and lime and fertilize as needed.

farm hunter 10-20-2003 08:29 PM

I agree, the forage activity generally wanes as October arrives on most clover plots. The clover does grow very slowly or even goes dormant if cold enough. The deer gernerally prefer High Carbohydrate foods (winter wheat, rye) over high Protein Foods (clover, alfafa) - in the fall. Bucks, Does and fawns seem to know to load up for winter.

If however - your clover plot is the nearest green feild, and Rye, or other high Carb food is not around - The clover can still attract a good number of deer in fall. While it is high in protein - its not devoid of Carbs - and the deer will make good use of the plot when other plots are not available.

And lucky for most of us - Acorns, apples, or other mast can pull deer off the best food plots.

Good luck this fall.

wigmap 10-21-2003 10:20 AM

Thanks guys that is all good info. However, our property is miles up on miles from the next closest green field. There are a few apples but not enough to support any significant # of deer nor do we have any acorns this year. According to our DNR the wet spring kept oaks from flowering and producing any acorns. The clover is still there it just does not grow much at this point. About the only thing we do have is hickory nuts which are not deer attractants. These are just some of the factors that make me question where did the deer go.

TeXLaXHunter 10-26-2003 11:52 AM

www.whitetailinstitute.com makes this kind of clover called IMPERIAL CLOVER. It has been genetically altered to last from 8-12 months depending on how far north-south you live and how cold it gets, it also has twice as much protein it also goes 5 years without having to be replanted. the site also has lots of other good genetically alterd grasses and such for deer. Good stuff.

whitetail1 10-27-2003 05:12 AM

the imperial clover is like other clovers. it will slow in growth during the colder months and can last up to five years with proper maintenance.

Deleted User 11-03-2003 11:54 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

germain 11-12-2003 06:30 PM

My clover did stop growing but the deer are hammering it right now.