Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Trail Maintenance

Old 12-29-2015, 05:20 AM
Spike

Default Trail Maintenance

First off I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I have a couple trails that lead to my hunting property that have been getting pretty messy by the end of the season. They are basically two tracks and the ruts in them get almost impassible by the end of the season. Any tips on improving these on a budget? I can't excavate the entire trail. Is there a type of grass that I could plant that would be better suited for vehicle traffic, preferably that would double as a food source for deer?
Old 01-17-2016, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would suspect that at the least you will have to "level" these trails to address the deep rutting. Probably a disk harrow followed by a box blade. As for grass ..... I am way too far south (AL) to have a clue what might work up north. I would suggest getting in touch with your state's local Ag university and see if they have a suggestion.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Pennington Durana Clover,it might help in firming up the ground plus draw in Deer to browse on.Another thing to do is to try not to drive on the same tracks/path,each time move over a little and don't run heavy vehicles in Snow or Wet weather...some times it just can't be helped and as mentioned a metal box blade is need behind a good Tractor to keep the Road maintained.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

This may sound simple, but don't drive on the trail when it is wet, ruts only happen when you are driving on mud. You could also grade the trail so the water will flow off of it. Additionally, planting as has been previously mentioned will help. Since you can't afford to excavate to make the center higher than the rest of the trail so the water will run off when it rains instead of laying on the trail and making mud you best bet is not using the trails when they are muddy.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 05-14-2016 at 02:13 PM.