Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Planting Bedding Areas and Food Plots HELP! >

Planting Bedding Areas and Food Plots HELP!

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Planting Bedding Areas and Food Plots HELP!

Old 12-04-2015, 10:54 AM
Spike

Default Planting Bedding Areas and Food Plots HELP!

Hey guys, so I just purchased a new property and I have about 10 open acres in the middle of the parcel. I wanted to plant some tall grasses for bedding cover and a couple food plots. I'm totally new to this so I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on what to plant and how to arrange the bedding cover and food plots to work the best.

Thanks for your help everyone!

**I attached a picture of the property and the open 10 acres is basically right in the middle of it.
Attached Images  
Old 12-04-2015, 01:15 PM
Spike

First stage of planning is to figure out already existing bedding areas and other food sources in location to this open field, possible stand placement locations in regards to wind directions, entry and exit routes, previous deer travel patterns. Any natural funnels leading to the field?
I cant see the pic that well, its not letting me enlarge it. For just a suggestion I would plant 4-5 acres of NWSG that's good for your area then plant the rest in different varieties and mixes that would supply food throughout the whole year. Ex. 2 acres of clover (ladino,red, Kopu 2 white clover)mix with some chicory , 2.5-3 acres of beans, the rest in a winter rye,oats and brassica mix. Whatever would work in your area, this works really good for me here in Southern Illinois. I definitely would do a soil test first before planting anything.