Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plot Size

Old 11-08-2015, 01:42 PM
Spike

Default Food Plot Size

I just bought a 13 acre lot to build my retirement home. I'm interested in planting a food plot but won't have a huge amount of space. Is there a minimum size for a food plot to be useful? Thanks.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Simple answer---NO! Plant a 1/2 acre if that's all you have room for and have fun watching the animals come to it if you do it right and plant the proper stuff for where you are.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:41 PM
Spike

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you are going to have a small plot, maybe less than an acre - then something that can handle browsing is a good place to start - like a clover/chicory mix. You'll get lots of other ideas here -
Old 01-21-2016, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have a place that will work for this idea, I suggest a plot that is long and rather narrow as opposed to a round or essentially square plot. Ala. deer seem to like that set-up. I am thinking so that they can easily bounce back into cover if spooked. Say 100-150 yards long and 30-40 yards wide. Something like 1/2 acre or more will work.

I suggest that you soil test and correct for what you plan to put out. Down this way the big deal is pH correction. Check info from your state's ag university for info on best varieties for your soil type and location.

There are essentially two strategies ... annual or perennial. If you can do two plo ts, I'd try one of each. A quality perennial clover is a good choice. A bit more costly up front but less work in the long run, and usually last 3-5 years before requiring a replant. Weeds can be kept our using a selective herbicide.

Annual is simple and relatively easy ... but requires a spring crop and a fall crop planting. It is easy to plant a variety of crops. But weed control can be a challenge.

Lots of free info from established seed companies such as Pennington. Be leery of these so call super-super pre-mixes that claim to be unique seeds will some sort of magical results. Most of these are simply repackaged seeds that you can buy at any farmer supply store and mix yourself for a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by Mojotex; 01-21-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of my plots are .25 to .33 of an acre. I do have several of them (five) to try and keep the pressure off just one.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I should add my annual plots I put n around August 1st (hear in Vermont). Usually consists if brassicas, oats, and winter peas.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most Smaller Tract Land Owners think they don't have a big enough area to plant food plots but in reality they do,if you use your field edges,road ways,pathes and trails in the places that you have to drive to or cut wood off when cleaning up areas around Your Farm simply clear it off and run a disc across it then plant yourself some clover, turnips, radishes or anything that will draw the Deer,Turkey and other wildlife in.

We usually plant several different types of Food Plots so the Wildlife has more choices and different varieties of Food to choose from and its,very enjoyable to see all the different Animals benefit from the,Plots from the smallest like Quail up to Turkeys and Deer!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 01-31-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hopefully my pic's will post this time?

We planted the Pennington Durana Clover along our upper Ridge Field after cleaning off the woods and over hanging branches.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:17 AM
Typical Buck

1/2 Acre hour glass shaped with stand in narrow portion downwind from normal air currents perfect set up I have 2 of these on 40 acres absolutely love them one clover one winter rye they love the rye after first frost

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.