Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Spotted fawns

Old 10-12-2003, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Spotted fawns

One of our old does brought up twin spotted fawns Friday, and this afternoon she brought them back up to the feeder behin the house. Its hard to believe they are so small, guess they weigh about 6 or 8 pounds each. Mayabe some more will show up in a few days (it is normal in our area to see a lot of newborn fawns this time of year).
Old 10-12-2003, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Spotted fawns

We' ve seen a lot of spotted fawns this year in our club which is really unusual around here although the ones I' ve seen are in the 30 pound range. Normally they have lost their spots by now. Must have been a bunch of does that didn' t get bred until late.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

Second estrus fawns...
Old 10-15-2003, 09:39 AM

Luchbucket nailed it! Good Luck!! -- CDH
Old 10-16-2003, 09:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

No, lunchbucket didn' t nail it. It is very normal for the spotted fawns to start showing up this time of year.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:19 PM

TC,

I would suggest to you that you harvest those does with the late fawns. I heard Eddie Salter speaking one time in regard to this. He said that all of the studies he has read or been involved in, indicate when a doe gets bred late in the year, (2nd estrus), she will continue to come into her first estrus cycle the following years after during the 2nd estrus time. So every year she is having her fawns late in the summer. Therefore, those fawns are always trying to catch up, however they never will. He said by allowing does like this to walk, you are in a sense lessening the strength of your deer by allowing the production of smaller, less advanced fawns.

If she doesn' t get bred when she comes into estrus the first time, which for normal does would be the 2nd time, she' ll go into estrus even later in the year, which in my area is going to be January. If she gets bred then you will have even younger fawns. This is another importance of having as close to a 1-1 ratio bucks to does, so that the does get bred on time.

We try to harvest a lot of does on our group' s 300 acres. We only shoot does that have fawns so that those fawns will take up residence on our property. In the event of a large doe without fawns, we may take her as well. We try to keep a fresh cycle with our does so that most come into estrus during the Nov rut. The bucks we shoot are one' s that will be mounted. For us, that is around 115 and up.

I am no expert but I read a lot on this trying to educate myself. Hopefully this helps. Good luck.