Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Help grow Bigger Buck. Protein Question >

Help grow Bigger Buck. Protein Question

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Help grow Bigger Buck. Protein Question

Old 01-13-2015, 07:04 AM
Spike

Default Help grow Bigger Buck. Protein Question

I am planning on planting soybeans, lablab, and cowpeas this summer for the deer. I also just purchased a #200 Boss Buck protein feeder and in the process of converting my @200 Moultire feeder to a protein feeder. What are some good choices of protein I can put in the feeders that wont break the bank, I done some research and I know I could put Record Rack, Soybeans, and I saw someone mention Calf Creep, but I'm not sure what that is. I was wanting some opinions from here.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are in a warm weather summer area, look into Sunn Hemp. We tried it last summer. It was hands down the best summer food plot we have ever used. This summer, we are going to triple the acrea we planted in it last summer.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

venison fed off soybeans are not that great of tablefare is what I have read. to get bigger bucks, adjust the population to within carrying capacities of the land, have a ratio of 1 buck to 2-3 does, let them get some age on them, of all things, nothing makes horns as well as age.
RR
Old 05-26-2015, 11:46 AM
Spike

like ridgerunner said, nothing does as good as age. In my opinion, deer need to be let live till 5 or 6 if you can hold off.

u can protein them all you want but without age they wont max out.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:51 PM
Spike

I totally agree about age. Not everyone can let deer live until 5 or 6 tho. Nutrition, age, and genetics are the three components of producing big deer. He was only asking about the nutrition piece. While I appreciate then input, i dont think that the original question was truly answered.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might want to look into the "deer pellet" type feeds offered by such folks as Purina, Nutrena , etc.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:11 AM
Spike

i personally have only used record rack. buy it by the pallet for a discount
Old 07-15-2015, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

Might could give sweet feed a try. Deer can't resist the molasses coat and its a pretty good source of protein.