Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Coyotes: Hunt, Trap or let be

Old 09-21-2014, 11:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

A mounted Bobcat with a coyote pup is what I want mounted.. Then I can say sometimes the cat does get the dog... I think it would be a really super mount..
Old 09-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hunt, It's The Right Thing to Do

The experts pretty much have said what trepsed across my mind 1st reading your post. I have a retirement place just to the south of 'ya in northern AL and "harvest" of predators will be a primary concern when I permanently move there in mere 6 months and counting!

My experience is thin, but dang I've read alot, most recently "The Polictically Incorrect Guide to Hunting." A repeated major theme is that hunted species adapt and behave more 'wild,' which enhances the goals of the 'game' manager. A consistent thinning of your predators should result in a more wary 'yote, maybe after just shooting a handful. But by that time you can step up your own stategies. (I've witness this annually shooting our prolific ground squirrels (in Cali) and after trapping and shooting coons and feral cats this last year in AL.) As well, the parasite population, disease, and predator/prey population should more closely balance with improved health.

The book refers to numerous studies. Does are often attacked/destroyed while giving birth, both by coyote and male bobcats in the southeast. Though I understand it's killing, one is considerably more humane to wildlife than stepping in and managing the predator/prey. Nature is bloody tooth and claw cruel, just as pretend conservationalists are with their rogue emotions.
https://mynook.barnesandnoble.com/pr...ryId=933482357
Doubtful hunting and trapping could ever threaten the well being of the coyote. Let's go get 'em

Last edited by Sosalty; 09-28-2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: URL
Old 11-13-2014, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

nclem135,

I disagree with Nomercy in regards to their increasing their breeding/litter numbers, that is no lie, they do. A study done back around 1968 showed this very plainly. Back then western ranchers used stricnine (sp) and 1080 poisons as well as shooting & trapping, even bounties to eliminate every last yote they could. Large numbers of yotes on a sheep ranch is the bane of that ranchers existence. This did greatly reduce yote numbers, but failed to eliminate them. It was found that yote litter sizes had increased by 40%+, a survival tactic that is in their genes. Due to the cascading deadliness of 1080 which killed far to many non target birds of prey (including eagles), cougar, black bears & neighbors dogs ect. + it killed many scavengers as well, use of these poisons was outlawed. Bounties also have mostly gone out of favor, though bounties are now returning in some areas with really large numbers of yotes & not enough hunter/trappers.

This is not to say that you can't make a dent in their numbers via shooting & trapping because you can. And as has already been said, you'll kill far more with a good trapping program than you ever will with guns.....even if you get a couple friends helping you & dogs to boot, one good trapper can do even more for you. A good trapper + steady & determined shooting of them can cut fawn losses by up to 80% according to studies done in some SE states in recent years. You'll never get rid of all of them, but you can reduce the impact on your deer herd.

edit 12/29/14

Something I should have said, but did not is this: When I posted above that you can make a dent & reduce impact, I should have also said this..............To make really serious impact on yote numbers is only possible if it's a full court press effort. Call them in, run & gun them with dogs & a full out trapping program. So long as this is maintained you can have a real impact on the numbers of yotes in your area. But let up, just for one season.........and your going to be pretty much back where you started, or with even a few more as you now have a better food source for them, which will draw them. But even given this, it's still a worthwhile endevor IMO. Enjoy the hunt! ! !

Last edited by craig; 12-29-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:41 AM
Spike

I personally like to keep one around just for ground rodent control but if I see it take a fawn on any of my cameras I will eliminate him
Old 01-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BigDan05
I personally like to keep one around just for ground rodent control but if I see it take a fawn on any of my cameras I will eliminate him
When you lower your yote numbers as much as possible, it also makes it possible for fox to survive in larger numbers.

A fox are far better at rodent control than are yotes.

Also of further added rodent control, you could erect some T shaped perches for raptors such as hawks & eagles. Hawks will also give greater impact than yotes on rodent numbers.

And fox & birds of prey have pretty much no impact on your deer numbers.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

+ 10

Kill everyone you see (can) !!!

Do the rest of the animals that live on the ground a FAVOR !

Wildlife management at it's best.....................
Old 01-11-2015, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Started hearing coyotes in the area but on the other side of the road about 2003. A year later final started hearing them on my side of the road. Started hunting them hard out just about every day, got permission from all around my block of land and got some friends (5) to hunt with me. Put so much pressure on them I haven't heard a coyote howl in a couple years till early one morning in November way off in the distance.
Just about every day one of my friends calls and asked about us going out after coyotes, just a short time when is closed to hunt them here in Michigan do we give them a rest. Added benefit has been the extra cash in our pockets from the fur, more deer living to hunting season, more red tails in the area, And just the trigger practice.
We now have permission to hunt other game in 4 counties as a result of helping farmers get rid of problem coyotes too.

Al
Old 01-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by craig
nclem135,

I disagree with Nomercy in regards to their increasing their breeding/litter numbers, that is no lie, they do. A study done back around 1968 showed this very plainly. Back then western ranchers used stricnine (sp) and 1080 poisons as well as shooting & trapping, even bounties to eliminate every last yote they could. Large numbers of yotes on a sheep ranch is the bane of that ranchers existence. This did greatly reduce yote numbers, but failed to eliminate them. It was found that yote litter sizes had increased by 40%+, a survival tactic that is in their genes. Due to the cascading deadliness of 1080 which killed far to many non target birds of prey (including eagles), cougar, black bears & neighbors dogs ect. + it killed many scavengers as well, use of these poisons was outlawed. Bounties also have mostly gone out of favor, though bounties are now returning in some areas with really large numbers of yotes & not enough hunter/trappers.

This is not to say that you can't make a dent in their numbers via shooting & trapping because you can. And as has already been said, you'll kill far more with a good trapping program than you ever will with guns.....even if you get a couple friends helping you & dogs to boot, one good trapper can do even more for you. A good trapper + steady & determined shooting of them can cut fawn losses by up to 80% according to studies done in some SE states in recent years. You'll never get rid of all of them, but you can reduce the impact on your deer herd.

edit 12/29/14

Something I should have said, but did not is this: When I posted above that you can make a dent & reduce impact, I should have also said this..............To make really serious impact on yote numbers is only possible if it's a full court press effort. Call them in, run & gun them with dogs & a full out trapping program. So long as this is maintained you can have a real impact on the numbers of yotes in your area. But let up, just for one season.........and your going to be pretty much back where you started, or with even a few more as you now have a better food source for them, which will draw them. But even given this, it's still a worthwhile endevor IMO. Enjoy the hunt! ! !
You might have mis-identified me as saying something about breeding numbers/litters that I didn't actually say, but it really sounds like we're saying the same exact thing, your post suggests that "to make a serious impact on yote numbers is only possible if it's a full court press," and my post said "it's INCREDIBLY difficult to actually "eradicate" a coyote population." I grew up ranching and making every attempt to eliminate coyotes around our herds, short of the now illegal practice of lacing bait with poison and strapping 12ga shotguns to fence posts. Try as you might, they still keep coming back. If there's a food, water, and shelter suitable for coyotes, there WILL be coyotes.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Example - If there were 100 coyotes in a 100 square mile area and you killed 70 of them; the following year there would be +/- 100 again (given the "natural" conditions remained constant).

You do need a "full court press" if you are going to put a dent in the population !

Last edited by Sheridan; 01-12-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Craig, I agree, here is an article written in Grandview Oudoors. The biologists in many states believe the response to hunting presure by coyotes is larger litters. Just think about the western states. Coyotes were shot from aircraft, poisoned, trapped and hunted hard and the results were more coyotes.

Royer concurs with Perras’s observations. "Many times, there will be some disruption in the coyote pack once the Alpha pair has been killed. The next in line to take over the pack hasn’t been established and there will be disorganization among them. Studies have shown that high birth rates occur in areas where coyotes are heavilyhunted, meaning that there will be more young coyotes in this years' pack. Researchers believe that coyote populations are likely to respond to extensive hunting pressure with an increase in reproduction and survival of the young. Heavy predation can also change the sex ratios, juvenile survival, and the percentages of females that breed. This is the down side in areas where coyotes are heavily hunted," Royar said. Royar is a wildlife biologist for the state of Vermont- See more at: http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/art....OjRxqdsu.dpuf

Last edited by Oldtimr; 01-12-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.