Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

oats

Old 08-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default oats

when should i plant oats in south central ks
Old 08-14-2014, 05:26 PM
Spike

I just finished a 1 acre plot of Biologic Trophy oats yesterday. I am a week behind schedule, but I have confidence that is will produce some great forage. Biologic's website will tell you when you should plant a fall plot for KS. I hail from the North East so I am not sure about the timing for your area, but good luck to you.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

When we planted oats, it was right about this time in PA. I think we could have done it earlier but we got enough to attract deer.....and bear.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oats are not as cold-hardy as rye, triticale, or winter wheat, so keep that in mind. Some varieties fare better than others.

Here's what your land-grant university recommends:

http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/bookstore/pubs/l818.pdf

If you have any winter wheat grown around you, I'd probably figure on planting about the same time as the farmers are planting the wheat. Some of the reasons for not recommending oats is frost is generally hard on oats when they start to hit the boot and dough stages, which would be devastating for grain production. Since you are planting for winter forage, this may not be as much of a factor in your decision.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Chilocco oats are cold hardy. They are grown for forage around Amarillo, TX. Walken is also a good winter oat.

http://kauffmanseed.com/
Old 08-20-2014, 04:22 AM
Fork Horn

For the record I never buy any of the name brand celebrity endorsed pre-packaged oats or any other seed...

I find the closest seed mill and buy direct, you can also find farm classifieds in most states where farmer sell their seed oats,wheat,bean or corn..
I normally pay around $10 a bushel +-...a bushel of oats is 60#..