Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Heavy grass weed cover in potential food plot >

Heavy grass weed cover in potential food plot

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Heavy grass weed cover in potential food plot

Old 07-01-2014, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Heavy grass weed cover in potential food plot

I just purchased some land that has a heavy cover of grass and ceresa (sp)? Hay? Do to the vegetation not being mowed or cut for hay in a year and half I cannot find anyone to cut it for hay. I want to plant some fall food plots.

What are my options? I can't burn. Should I spray then mow? I am afraid the plants are to mature to be effected by spray? Should I mow it 2 or 3 time to get it chopped up fine then spray and disc?

Or Somthing totally different?

Thanks in advance

Tg
Old 07-01-2014, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

I would spray it 4+ weeks before planting with 2 quarts/acre glyphosate (roundup) + 2 pints/acre 2,4-D amine. Wait 1-2 weeks, and then disc. Finally, spray again with just glyphosate 1 week before planting this fall.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

So just to make sure I understand should I mow at any point? The vegetation is almost waist high?

Thanks again
Old 07-02-2014, 02:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

No reason to waste fuel with mowing if you spray then disk. the disk will chop the dead grass up just fine.

Al
Old 07-02-2014, 06:22 AM
Spike

I found that when building a new plot it is best for killing all of the grass to brush hog or cut the grass, then as the grass is trying to regrow spray round-up. The round-up gets absorbed through the open cut wound and through the roots. Depending on what seed you are thinking of planting will determine when you start the work. Clover would be a great seed to throw after you disc and you could start right away. Seed it heavy and the grass seed and weed seed wont take over the plot, clover will dominate the plot. Then in the fall planting you can disc the clover in and replant a brassica or something. By then you could have a well rooted food plot of clover to hunt deer.
Good Luck!
Whitetail Strategies Guide Service
Fred Scott
Old 07-02-2014, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would bush hog the food plot and let it set about a week or two, the apply Glysophate (Round-Up). You should be able to find generic 40% for weell under $75/2.5 gal. Just follow the directions. I recommend mowing first to allow the Round-Up to get to the lower growing stuff well. If there are woody plants such as briars and saplings in the proposed plot area, then 2-4-D would be worth the expense. Might take two applications this summer to do the weeds in. Meanwhile have a soil test done and follow the remedy for the best resulting food plots this fall. It may be too late to try any summer crops, but might be worth the research to see if you want to spend the $$$.

Check with your local Ag. Extension service agent or your states' game department for free, good info on what does well in your area and soil type. I would suggest that you plant a mix for the deer. Down this way (SE Ala.) that works great. We plant wheat, forage oats, Elbon rye, Crimson clover and purple top turnip. Results in good food for the deer through about end of April.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Great information. If I mow and spray will the cut plants block the weed killer? How low should I cut?
Old 07-04-2014, 03:30 AM
Fork Horn

Why cant you burn ? You will need big equipment to chop up that that thick of grass with a disc. Mow it down low and get it chopped up good then disc it in real well. Wait a few weeks for new growth then nuke it and then plant.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

Where I want to plant the plots is tight to the wood line. Also I have no experience burning. I could do 2 of the 3 fields but the 3rd is behind the house of the folks who used the have the farm and they would not be comfortab w it.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

A burn is your best option.. You can mow disc a row close to your wood line as a fire break. You might ask your FD and see if they want to burn it for practice ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.