Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Small Food Plot with no Heavy Equipment >

Small Food Plot with no Heavy Equipment

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Small Food Plot with no Heavy Equipment

Old 03-16-2014, 07:23 AM
Spike

Default Small Food Plot with no Heavy Equipment

Alright so Im planning on growing a couple of small food plots where I hunt this year.I have never grown them before, don't know much about them. Iv'e done some research, found this video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciPJzwY8sto

I want to make this as simple and less complicated as I possibly can. There are so many types of seed and fertilizer at the stores. Im thinking that im just going to go with what is in the video.

I live in Upstate NY. Bow season starts October 1st, so I want to have this timed just right for then. In the video they are starting that plot in april in Ohio which confuses me a bit. Why so early? Wouldn't they want to start it in July or August even?

Heres my biggest confusion. Lime. I think I may need it for the particular area that im going to be growing the plot in. What is the best way for me to spread it? Mix it in with the seed and fertilizer? Before? After? The plot isn't going to be huge. Does it hurt to overlime?

any help at all highly appreciated!
Old 03-16-2014, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

I suspect they suggest planting it in spring so the seeds are more likely to germinate and survive. It would be tough working ground in July or August, and the high evapotranspiration rate would cause many plots to fail unless rains were timely.

Did you soil test? You may not even need lime. If you do, you can get pelletized lime and spread it the same way you do granular fertilizer. You would want to spread the lime (if you need it) as early as possible, and mix it into the soil as best you can. It would be nearly impossible to over lime, but you may be able to save the money and your time for something else that would benefit the plot more.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Spike

I spread lime pellets in a atv spreader as well as plant my soy bean food plots. Then drag with a piece of weighted chain link fence. I dont have fancy equipment but I grow some nice plots.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know how big your plots are going to be but my neighbor planted several small plots in his woods (20'x60') a few years ago in mid August. Because of their relatively small size, the deer had decimated them by the opening of archery season. My guess is the best way to make a small "in woods" plot would be to choose something that germinates quick and time your planting so that it's growth is sizeable enough attract deer around the time your bow season kicks in. As others have stated, you may not need to lime on first planting but have the soil tested and you may want to lime them in late winter/early spring so that conditions are right for your next season. Annual Ryegrass (not field Rye) may be a good choice for a first planting because it's cheap, germinates quickly, attracts deer and is a beneficial supplement to the soil. It also dies off when the ground freezes so you don't have to worry about it dominating your plot. Just my $.02...

BPS