Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

new to the site.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:48 PM
Spike

Default new to the site.

hello all,
I have been reading a little on this forum trying to get more ideas of my food plot. thank you all for the information. My plot is in northern MN last year i planted some corn sunflowers and clover.
I found out that i didn't plant enough as the deer plowed through the plot to the point they were digging into the ground.

these are some of the pictures of the deer of my plot last summer.
my newest picture of still on my game camera. so these old ones will have to do.

there are 4-6 does that i did not post.

this year i plan to plant alot more clover corn soybeans sunflowers, and sugar beets, and maybe a few more things
the only thing i can get to this plot is a small mower. I need to mow down the grass and spray to kill it this spring.

should i mow and than spray or just spray? I did a soil test and it good for growing, and well drained. right next to the plot is a large pond that has water year around. (have to build a small bridge to get the small lawn tractor to it)

the area i plan to plant is about a acre. Main question is what can i do to prepare the ground.
thank you ago.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

New too so welcome...spray first before mowing. make sure it is in active growth though and read the label for temps...nice pics!
Old 03-06-2014, 05:40 AM
Spike

alright thank you, the small lawn tractor i have has a tiller was thinking mow it, rake up all the clippings than till the ground and seed the area.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

From my own personal experience If it is a new plot think about going with annuals for a while and rotations spring-fall....I can say this for I have the time. I don't know your circumstance. The thing is weed seed can stay dormant for years and years and years. When you loosen lime and fertilize the soil you are bringing up all that seed and they WILL flourish. study up on plants with allelopathic properties. You may prefer that over a lot of spraying near the pond. other than that a year or 2 of say RR ready soybeans could cut down on the weed seeds before you plant a perennial plot such as clover...ppl say small planting of soybean won't survive, especially in high deer density...I only plant small plots and have no issues.I use an inexpensive deterrent..Milorganite. I also combine plants ..here deer love buckwheat. It grows very fast and I mix a small amount in to the soybean planting...it comes up faster than the beans and the deer hit that first...you could do the same with a small amount of oats or WW WR or a spring trictical. sometime a plane ole scare crow with different scents added to it once in a while old cologne, stinky perfume, bug spray what ever you see that works..place it so the prevailing wind blows over most of the plot.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:41 AM
Spike

thanks for the ideas and reply. went up to the area i'm going to put in my food plot.

I guess it is still alittle to early to spray and work the ground. the area I'm planning is about 150 feet by 50 feet and the pond is going to be on 3 sides of it. the woods behind this picture has had deer in it for the last 10 years, and i saw alot of tracks this time up there too. One more snow storm and i hope it will start to warm up after that.