Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Whitetail institute food plot question ..? >

Whitetail institute food plot question ..?

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Whitetail institute food plot question ..?

Old 02-20-2014, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Whitetail institute food plot question ..?

Hi guys....I'm going to be putting a food plot on a power line in Louisa Va ..... The power line gets lots of sun ..... Right now I can't do more then weed whack ..... Spray weed killer and rake the ground to prepare it for seed .......I going to be using Whitetail Institute NO PLOW...... I was wondering if anyone has used this seed and does it grow well or should I try something else....??????

Thanks for any info.....

Last edited by brewman555; 02-20-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

What blend of seeds are in the Whitetail Institutes No Plow package?

I've found that most of the No-Till plants do alright but not as well as if You can break up the soil and get a better foothold.We ran a 4-wheeler with the small disc and our plants did a lot better.If Your planting Clover I highly reccomend the Pennington Durana Clover,it does well in less light,fights drought,weeds and will take heavy browsing!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

GTOHunter ..... No plow has a mixture of annual clovers....brassica....radish....lettuce and special selected cereal grains.....

Like I said I can only use a rake ....weed whacked and weed killer this year to prepare the plot bed.....

Do you think this stuff will work....?????

Thanks.....
Old 02-26-2014, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try it out and hopefully it will take.....the Clover will keep growing and coming back but all the others will be a 1 time deal if Im correct!If You get some good rain this Spring the Plants should do pretty good.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GTOHunter View Post
Try it out and hopefully it will take.....the Clover will keep growing and coming back but all the others will be a 1 time deal if Im correct!If You get some good rain this Spring the Plants should do pretty good.
I hope it grows well ..... Next year I'll be able to till the ground and can look at other types of seeds to grow...
Old 02-27-2014, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Take a soil test $10..If the soil ph is real bad nothing will grow well in that spot..If your not doing a soil test add some lime to the area before or with your seed. Lime is cheap !!
Old 02-28-2014, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good idea MUZZY100.....hate to go through all that work and it not grow because I didn't check the PH or put down lime.....
Old 03-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

I have used it. I find that all WTI seed is pretty PH sensitive, with the Extreme being the best of them in that regard. Not knowing the area size nor the amount of moisture...hill side or flat ...well drain or clay, it's difficult to give a good answer. the Tilth makes a difference especially for root development.
I will say this in order for lime to do it's job it needs to be incorporated into the soil. It also takes upwards of 6 mos to REALLY lower the PH.