HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Whitetail institute food plot question ..? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/389825-whitetail-institute-food-plot-question.html)

brewman555 02-20-2014 05:38 AM

Whitetail institute food plot question ..?

Hi guys....I'm going to be putting a food plot on a power line in Louisa Va ..... The power line gets lots of sun ..... Right now I can't do more then weed whack ..... Spray weed killer and rake the ground to prepare it for seed .......I going to be using Whitetail Institute NO PLOW...... I was wondering if anyone has used this seed and does it grow well or should I try something else....??????

Thanks for any info.....

GTOHunter 02-23-2014 07:47 AM

What blend of seeds are in the Whitetail Institutes No Plow package?

I've found that most of the No-Till plants do alright but not as well as if You can break up the soil and get a better foothold.We ran a 4-wheeler with the small disc and our plants did a lot better.If Your planting Clover I highly reccomend the Pennington Durana Clover,it does well in less light,fights drought,weeds and will take heavy browsing!

brewman555 02-24-2014 05:24 AM

GTOHunter ..... No plow has a mixture of annual clovers....brassica....radish....lettuce and special selected cereal grains.....

Like I said I can only use a rake ....weed whacked and weed killer this year to prepare the plot bed.....

Do you think this stuff will work....?????

Thanks.....

GTOHunter 02-26-2014 04:00 PM

Try it out and hopefully it will take.....the Clover will keep growing and coming back but all the others will be a 1 time deal if Im correct!If You get some good rain this Spring the Plants should do pretty good.

brewman555 02-27-2014 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by GTOHunter (Post 4125034)
Try it out and hopefully it will take.....the Clover will keep growing and coming back but all the others will be a 1 time deal if Im correct!If You get some good rain this Spring the Plants should do pretty good.

I hope it grows well ..... Next year I'll be able to till the ground and can look at other types of seeds to grow...

MUZZY 100 02-27-2014 01:09 PM

Take a soil test $10..If the soil ph is real bad nothing will grow well in that spot..If your not doing a soil test add some lime to the area before or with your seed. Lime is cheap !!

brewman555 02-28-2014 02:06 AM

Good idea MUZZY100.....hate to go through all that work and it not grow because I didn't check the PH or put down lime.....

LBADG 03-04-2014 09:28 AM

I have used it. I find that all WTI seed is pretty PH sensitive, with the Extreme being the best of them in that regard. Not knowing the area size nor the amount of moisture...hill side or flat ...well drain or clay, it's difficult to give a good answer. the Tilth makes a difference especially for root development.
I will say this in order for lime to do it's job it needs to be incorporated into the soil. It also takes upwards of 6 mos to REALLY lower the PH.